Wired PC slow compared to Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lperalta, Mar 1, 2011.

1. lperalta

lperalta Private E-2

This is quite hard to explain as I don't think it's a speed issue. I cannot figure out what the issue may be.

I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop, at home. one computer is wired while the other two machines are setup wireless.

What I am encountering is the one wired computer is having some slow internet problems. Wireless PCs are fine. Now when I say slow internet, it's almost difficult to explain. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it takes forever for pages to even get past the "waiting for 'website'" stage. It happens with many different sites. The strange part is that once the page loads, everything is almost instant, but if a new page is requested, it takes forever and sometimes doesn't load.

I have tried to eliminate the wireless PCs from the equation and no luck. The only time the PC works without any problem what so ever is if I eliminate the router. I have a cisco linksys wireless n wrt310n v2 router it is right next to the computer that is having the problem. When the problem first occurred I had an old D-link and another Linksys router. I have since replaced them with the router mentioned above and still no luck. I have setup my network with a WPA2 key no broad casted SSID so I highly doubt the issue is my network is being compromised.

I have uninstalled network drivers and reinstalled, I have ran numerous scans for kaspersky and just yesterday I ran the malware removal procedure located on this site to the tee and no problems were found.

Is there anything I should try?
    Please keep in mind, if the computer is connected directly to the modem, everything is fine. If the computer is connected to the router, and all other machines are off my chances of pages loading faster increases, but the problem has been known to still occur even then.

Numerous amount of sites have mentioned that a wired connection supersedes a wireless, but I have yet to see this in my situation.

Please help

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and make sure none of the boxes are checked. If a proxy has been setup, it will slow the connections down.

If that doesn't help, check your DNS settings in the network controller properties and possibly clear the DNS cache by typing "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt. You could also look at the hosts file for entries that could be causing problems. A stock hosts file would only have 1 or 2 entries.

3. drekly

drekly Private E-2

Apologies if it's bad form to jump in on someone else's thread but as I have a very similar issue it seems to be the appropriate place to post.

My internet has been dodgy for a few months (ISP issue) but as it's due to be fixed tomorrow I decided to take the upgrade from 20 meg to 30 meg, switching from separate modem & router to all in one "Super Hub" on Friday. Set up and activated as per ISP's instructions.

My internet access was as bad as it has been after set up and I assumed it was down to the ISP's ongoing problems until my partner came home from work on Friday evening and starting using her PC, internet running fine for her whilst mine remained virtually unusable. Both PCs using ethernet cables.

Yesterday after work the situation remained the same her PC getting 20-30Mb download speeds running a speed test whilst I'm lucky to get the test page to load at all, when it did I was getting 2-5Mb download speeds.

Booted up the laptop, wireless connection, that's happy online too, 20-30Mb download speeds.

I've also tried wireless with the main PC via a dongle, still very slow.

I've switched cables and ports with her PC, hers remains fine, mine remains useless-poor.

I've had a look around online, tried this, tried that (I forget just what now, spent hours on this issue) and did gain a bit of performance improvement that made things semi-acceptable but not good enough and clearly a problem exists that needs resolving.

I did a system restore to a point 2 weeks ago save on an external HD which is where I think I got the best improvement, obviously have had a load of updates to install, not all have succeeded, one of which is the IE 9 version (been running IE9 beta for months), Firefox is my default browser and have installed Chrome today, same issues with all 3.

edit: forgot to mention that non-browser internet applications are running as well, if not better, than they have ever done on my PC.

I have a fairly new Gigabyte MA770-UD3 motherboard, 4 Gb RAM, Win7 64 bit.

Any help/ insights/ suggestions would be appreciated (including if I should start my own thread)

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Please do start your own thread so we don't get confused crossing answers and questions. Though you can certainly try shnerdly's advice, i suspect that your problem has a different root cause. Please copy your post to a new thread and also add which version of windows 7 your are using.

lperalta, any luck with shnerdly's advice? What version of Windows are you using?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds