Wired works, wireless won't broadcast. (Pics included!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DustinJSanders, Dec 27, 2011.

1. DustinJSanders

DustinJSanders Private E-2

Hey, I came into work yesterday to find that our internet had crashed over the weekend. We have wireless, ethernet, and vonage phone lines hooked up to a router (d-link) that is hooked up to the cable modem. (unknown brand. Looked all over it, no markings)
    Here's the setup: Internet comes in from a cable outside and into our modem. One RJ-45 cord goes from the modem to the d-link router into the WAN slot. The two vonage phone modems plug into this router along with another RJ-45 cord that then goes to a giant switch/router thing that sends the connection to all the jacks in the building.
    When I first looked at the modem yesterday morning, only the Pwr, Sync, and Ready lights were on. (all solid green) None of the port lights were on showing that the router was connected.
    I tried starting everything several times. No luck. I plugged all of the cords directly into the ports on the modem and they worked, so internet was coming through.
    Ok, so if the modem works, then it's a router problem. I grabbed another router of the same model, no luck. I grabbed an older, router, same D-link brand, and plugged everything in to it.
    This time I get an amber/orange flickering light in the port it is connected to. Initially, nothing worked when I did this. I then held down the reset button on the router and now everything works except the wireless internet. (It won't broadcast. I can't find it anywhere in my list of available wireless networks)
    Earlier, when the wired internet wasn't working, I kept getting "unable to connect to DHCP server" errors. My default gateway was also blank. I tried ipconfig /flush dns, ipconfig /release, and then ipconfig /renew. When I tried /renew I got a time out error and it said the adapter was not in a state to renew. Below are some pics of the setup:

The modem with the flickering amber light.

Currently hooked up to this older router which allows wired to work, but won't broadcast.

This is the original, newer modem. When plugged in, it doesn't even light up on the modem. Note, I have 2 of the exact same routers like this newer one. All of the have the same problem.

The big switch/router thing hooked up to the modem that runs all the RJ45s through the building.

2. thelaptopguru

thelaptopguru Private E-2

Hi Dustin,

Have you tried logging on to the router to check how it has been set up?

When you reset a router it will revert to default settings and passwords

It will revert to a default IP scope, (192.168.0.0 /254)

there should be a list of these settings on the bottom or back of the router.

The router has an IP number you can type into your browser and allow you to

change the settings.

Do you know what IP scope the network was running on before you pulled the

plug on the first router?

It might be as simple as turning on the wireless from the set up page!!

It may be possible to copy the settings from the old router as a back up

then restore these settings to the new router.

Let me know how you are getting on,

One more thing, remember to change the passwords from Default to stop any

outside logging in!!

thelaptopguru

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Cable Modems, at least the ones in the US, require that you restart the Modem when you change the first device connected to the Modem (The Router) The reason is that the Cable Modem remembers the MAC address of the device connected to it and won't release it without a cold boot, meaning unplugging the power cord to the Modem and removing the backup battery if it has one. The router should also be powered off when doing that. Then start ONLY the Modem and allow it about a minute to boot. Then start the Router. This should get you back on the Internet.

Having changed the Router, you will also have to re-establish any ports that were forwarded and any sticky IP's that were assigned in the old Router as well as re-setting the security protocols for the wireless.

EDIT:

The post was on todays posts as the result of a spammer, I didn't look at the date of the original question. Sorry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds