Wireles network problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniela, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Daniela

Daniela Private First Class

I have Sony Vaio with Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (wireless card). OS- Windows Vista Home.
    I’m having problems with connecting to my home router Linksys WRT54G v2.2. I can see the network, but it I can’t connected on it. I’m able to connect to others networks.
    I have two other desktops at home and they are able to connect to Linksys.

Any solution

Thanks

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Are you using Sony software or Vista to connect?
    You have to choose one or the other.

3. Daniela

I think Vista. How I can choose? how I can tell which one I'm using?

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Dare I say, look at your manual?

What icons appear in the sytem tray area (bottom right of the screen)?
    If you hover the mouse pointer over them they will identify themselves. There may be one for Vista wireless networks and one for the Sony.

Is the wireless actually switched on the laptop?

5. Daniela

Yes it is. I'm able to connect to other wireless networks. Just not to Linksys's one

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Describe what happens when you try to connect.

Are you offered the linksys?

7. Daniela

I can see the network, when I try to conect I cant, it says "Can not connect to the network" , I troubleshoot the conection (given by Vista) and then pop up unknown error. But again, I dont have problem to conect to any other wireless network...

8. Daniela

more explanation

When I select the network and click "Connect" I get a box that says "Windows cannot connect to xxxxx (the name of my network)." Then when I click on "Diagnose the problem" it says "wireless association failed due to unknown reason." If I then click on "repair" it says "Windows tried a repair but a problem still exists"

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Do you know what channel the laptop and the Linksys are using?

You can find this sort of information by clicking on the wifi card in device manager on the laptop and going into the setup for the Linksys with internet explorer on one of your other pcs.

Unless they are set to use the same channel the network will be detected, but unreachable.

Also in the Linksys have you got MAC filtering enabled?

10. stephencharity

stephencharity Private E-2

i have the very same problem on my toshiba satelite... i have great connectivity at home yet i cannot connect to the wirless network at my school ... i to am runnin vista home and i have an atheros card on board and it is switched on.. it sees the network and shows an excellent signal strength but i get the same error when i try to connect and when i diagnose i get the same response as you... come on someone out there is smart enough for this ... it just isnt me

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds