Wireless access on Wired Network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by duzytata, Jul 23, 2006.

1. duzytata

duzytata Guest

I currently have three desktops all on a wired home network. I'm getting a new laptop Monday, and it would be great if I could access the Internet from anywhere in my home, but I don't want to go through the expense of purchasing wireless cards for all the desktops and new wireless router. Is there anyway I could create a wireless access point using the remaining Ethernet port on my router? I currently have a Dlink DI-604 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62) and my Internet connection is at&t DSL Pro. All computers are running XP Pro. I would also like to do this as cheaply as possible! :)

Thanks in advance!

2. itguy

itguy Private E-2

Hi duzytata,

Sure, just pick up a Wireless Access Point (not a combo unit - just an access point). Plug it into the remaining port on your switch and then configure it for your network subnet and you will be able to use it with your laptop.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

It sounds like you are unaware that wireless routers typically have 4 or more wired ports, in addition to a built-in WAP. Also, a WAP-only unit is harder to find these days, and may well be more expensive than a 4-port wireless router.

4. itguy

itguy Private E-2

Actually I just bought one the other day at BestBuy. They are still readily available and tend to much more reliable in terms of firware stability than the combo units. That has just been my experience.

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Actually, I was speaking more to the OP's comment about having to buy wireless NICs for all his desktops if he wanted to go wireless for just his laptop.

I also have separate WAPs at home and work, but it's more because of the need for more wired ports than just 4. A recent search in this reasonably large metropolitan market found WAPs in stock at only one of four national chain electronic stores, and it cost nearly double what the popular name-brand wireless router on sale that week did.

6. itguy

itguy Private E-2

Yea, I hear ya. Your right, it may be more cost effective to just replace the existing router/switch combo with one that includes wireless too. :)

7. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

I think this is a common misconception about wireless routers. I have heard people who were generally considered computer savvy and didn't realise wireless routers came with wired ports. If you have never used/seen one, the name lends itself to being "wireless".
    I have a wgr614 - 4 wired ports up to 8 (i think) wirelss devices. $75AUD months ago. Easiest option for this bloke is just grab a new router imho.

Peace.

8. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

I think this is a common misconception about wireless routers. I have heard people who were generally considered computer savvy and didn't realise wireless routers came with wired ports. If you have never used/seen one, the name lends itself to being "wireless".
    I have a wgr614 - 4 wired ports up to 8 (i think) wirelss devices. $75AUD months ago. Easiest option for this bloke is just grab a new router imho.

Peace.

9. duzytata

duzytata Guest

Thanks so much for the helpful replies!

TheDoug was right. I would consider myself to be computer savy, but I've never touched wireless before and I had no idea that a wireless router had ports on the back. Thanks so much for the help. I'm probably going to get another router, it seems to be the most cost effective for me. My current dLink is getting old anyways.

Thanks,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds