Wireless Adapter won't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nicksource, May 3, 2006.

1. nicksource

nicksource Private E-2

Hi there.

I have a 54g Belkin USB adapter and a Speedtouch 576 wireless router.

When I start my PC up (the one with Belkin USB), it connects to the network but not to the internet and the only way to make it connect to the internet is to restart the router through my IE6 control panel thing.

How can I make it so it connects automaticlly and not have to restart router?

I run Windows XP SP2. Thanks.

2. nicksource

nicksource Private E-2

Still having problems.

I've tried reconnecting the internet on the Router but doesn't work. When I restart the Router, my adapter imediatly connects to the network and internet.

How do I make it connect to internet on start up without having to restart router every time?

3. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

Does your router have a time out feature on it..........does this happen on any other pc's:confused:

4. nicksource

nicksource Private E-2

There are only 2 PCs. One connected to the router by a network cable and the other wireless using the USB adapter by Belkin.

The only timeout I can find in the manuel is for child safety? It doesn't tell me how to change this though.

5. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

If you put the wireless usb adapter in the pc that is connected via cable does the same problem occur:)

6. nicksource

nicksource Private E-2

Yep, same problems. :(

Could it be how I set it up? Anything I need to set/configure?

7. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

What router are you using

8. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

Sorry............youve already sed wot router you got

DOh!!!!

9. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

I had a similar problem and it was a time out on the router. So if you internet is idle for 20mins it would just shut the internet off. But I cannot understand why it wouldnt come back on??/. Weird.......

you didnt say if the pc connected via wire has this problem??

10. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Assign a static IP to the computer connected via the network cable. Let DHCP handle the wireless computer. Once you assign a static IP to the computer with the cable, enter

ipconfig /renew

on the wireless computer to make sure there are no conflicting IP's.

11. nicksource

nicksource Private E-2

The PC connected by tha network cable connects to the internet instantly.

The only problem I have is with the Wireless PC. Where on startup. It connects to the network with the router but not the internet and I have to restart the router and it detects it then connects to the internet. It is fine from the onwards (unless I reboot my PC obviously).

I will try the IP thing. Thanks for the support so far.

12. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Make sure there are no firewalls, anti-virus, or other erroneous programs running when you boot the wireless comp. Also, check for a firmware update on your router, and check for an update on your wireless adapter. Disable all wireless security such as WEP, MAC address filtering, etc for the purposes of this test.

Check the length of each IP lease. Meaning, go into your router and see how long the "IP lease" is for each DHCP-assigned computer.

Also, I would reboot in Safe Mode w/Networking and try to establish a connection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds