Wireless Card Died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eebee, Nov 28, 2006.

1. eebee

eebee Private E-2

Today I unplugged all the stuff from my computer to move it, moved it to my new desk set up and booted it up and noticed that my wireless manager didn't load at startup and I had no internet. I looked in the hardware manager and it said that the device could not be started. I powered down my compy, unplugged it, tried starting it up again and got the same result. I then swapped my sound card and wireless card and booted up. The computer went through the new hardware dialog, and identified the card correctly, but when it finished, it again told me the card could not be started.

My card is a netgear, about two years old, and I'm running Windows 2000. Is this problem fixable, or should I just fork out for a new wireless card?

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Not sure if you can configure your network using win2k or not, however if you dont have the config software that came with your network adaptor you can configure the setup in XP by making sure the 'wirless zero configuration' service in windows is enabled.

You could try these steps with 2k,
    If your computer or your wireless network adapter did not come with its own wireless network software, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
    2. Click Network Connections.
    3. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
    4. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings chec

To start the Wireless Zero Configuration service, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s, and then click OK.
    2. Double-click Wireless Zero Configuration.
    3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
    4. In the Service status area, click Start, and then click OK.

If your unsuccessful you could revert back to your original software to try and re-configure your network settings and see if this helps, before you rule that its hardware failure!

Regards....

3. eebee

eebee Private E-2

I'm going to try that out, but I'm pretty sure that the issue is with the card itself. In the hardware manager under 'network devices,' it has the little card logo and an exclamation point next to it. When I open up device properties, it says that the card could not be started. For the wireless manager, I've been using the netgear software without any problems until now. Also, when I try and start the netgear software, it just sits for a moment and never opens up the connection manager.

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

You might want to google and see if there is another driver for your card eebee, before condemning the card

5. eebee

eebee Private E-2

Could it be the driver? Because before moving my computer, everything was working top notch.

6. eebee

eebee Private E-2

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't really know what the problem was, but I put the card back in to try the things you suggested and it was working when windows loaded.

7. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. At this point, it sounds like you had a bad connection on your wireless card. Perhaps a piece of dust or something got into the connector at one point, or something, dunno. Glad you are back up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds