Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping Out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moomoocow, Apr 15, 2010.

1. moomoocow

moomoocow Private E-2

As the title to my thread suggests, my wireless internet connection keeps dropping. This occurs frequently, every two to five minutes or so. My connection goes out, and after about two minutes, it comes back on. I have a wireless router that is two floors above me, and my PC is all the way down in the bottom floor of the house. Despite my connection always having a "good" or "very good" signal, it drops. I have a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter set up to a WEP security. The computer a floor above me never has connection problems, but mine all the way down on the bottom floor seems to constantly. The PC above is using the same type of network adapter, and the router is some BEC Technologies wireless DSL router. I'm using Windows XP, as is the other PC that has no troubles. That's about all the information I can provide off of the top of my head. I'd appreciate any help with the matter.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

It may be that you are right at the edge of the signal's reception limit.
    You could try checking the power settings of the adapter in it's configuration settings. Any settings that allow the computer to save power or wake on lan should be turned off.
    Also, as a test, is it possible to take the computer up to the next floor to see if the interference is cut down by not having to transmit through the additional floor?
    Also, if the test above finds you connecting solidly on the upper floor, is there a way to reposition the computer or router to possibly cut down on the number of items that have to be transmitted through?

3. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Or move the router to the computer on the middle floor... or move to a shorter house! :)

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What wireless channel are you using and are there any other wireless access points in the area that you know of?

5. moomoocow

moomoocow Private E-2

Hello and thank you both for your reply. I am using wireless channel 9, and there are no other wireless access points in the house. I am going to try moving my PC up one floor, and if it turns out that the signal is weak, I will move the router to the middle floor, or all the way down since I'm greedy. >:) I will reply when I see what the results are. :) All power settings are off - the hibernation is disabled, power schemes are all set to "never," not sure about the "wake on lan" though, could you explain that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds