Wireless Dongle problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tmgox, Oct 3, 2013.

1. tmgox

tmgox Private E-2

Hi I wonder if anyone could explain why now 2 wireless dongles have failed. They were a Netgear N600 and a TP Link N600 running in a new Windows 7 machine. They have both broken with about 6 and 11 months use. Is this normal. thank you in advance.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Do you have the sales receipt? If so and they're under a year old, you should be able to send them back to the mfr. for warranty replacement.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Definitely NOT normal. But I suspect this is likely just bad luck and a coincidence. BUT, if me, I would put my next one in a different pair of USB ports - just in case there is something wrong with the voltages on the port.

4. tmgox

tmgox Private E-2

UPDATE;
    I have now lost an SD card full of data and a IPod so it seem right that the USB port is dodgy..grr this is a brand new computer..how could I check that the rear ports are safe to use..Or what are my options now. (sorry if this is wrong) but the Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA 78LMT-USB3. Thank you again in advance.

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the USB ports on the motherboard are getting flaky, the cheapest and easiest solution is to buy and install a USB PCI board into an empty PCI slot like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104306

For a bit more, you can also get USB 3.0 cards that fit in PCIe slots.

Hope this helps. :)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Personally, I would not install anything to try and fix a new computer. Return it and explain how much hardware you already lost because the computer destroyed 4 things!

7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree. Don't risk voiding your warranty.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds