Wireless G speed stuck on 1 mbps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lamborman, Aug 20, 2006.

1. lamborman

lamborman Private E-2

I got a desktop hooked up to the internet, there is another desktop hooked up to my PC by a cable, and then theres a laptop.

I am trying to set up the laptop to properly communicate with my Desktop. They both have Wireless G network cards in them. I got the two PCs connected and the lappy is receiving the shared Internet connection

However, the network status keeps saying that even though the signal strength is excellent, the speed is only 1 mbps. It doesn't sound so bad, considering I only really need the connection for ICS, however the internet bandwidth on the lappy is as good as dial-ups(I've run a speed test). My normal bandwidth is around 3mbps. I also can't access any of the shared docs on any of the PCs.

Both Computers are running Windows XP Pro SP2 and there is a bridge on the host PC bridging the Lappy and the other desktop

Anyone know what could be the cause of this and how to fix it?

2. lamborman

lamborman Private E-2

Ok I enabled Background intelligent transfere service on lappy and host, and removed the bridge, Now it seems to work fine, both PCs can easily access each other documents and the internet picked up to 700kbps(still not 3000 :( ). However I want to also hook up another desktop in our house, which is wired. But Bridging fecks the wireless up. Any idea what I should do?

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Easy way to fix, is to get a Router. Keeping in ICS will cause problems, and if the unit that is connected to the modem is off, then you loose your Internet connection, unlike if you had a WiFi router between the computers and the modem.

4. lamborman

lamborman Private E-2

I am kind of tight on money atm, so I would love to fix this without a router. It seemed to work before, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe I need to enable a service or configure the network manualy without the Network Wizzard

5. pazsion

pazsion Private E-2

WIFI can not be added to a bridge, unless the device specifically supports it, the router supports it and the OS supports the specific device features. Pro does usually. But microsoft doesn't like it much for some reason...so it's buggy.

So the reason your wifi messes up, is possibly because you are trying to add it to the bridge.

Instead...add all wired devices to the bridge.

THEN, share the wifi with the bridge. Windows will treat it as if it's one ethernet device, and you'll be shareing the wifi with that.

I have an additional wifi router that tries to share the wifi and ethernet. And sometimes causes issues, but it's combined bandwidth 1 gig ethernet 2 100 tweaked as 1 gig's ethernet plus the wifi@11mbps = 3.7gbps...IF and only IF all devices are set to auto sense, or auto. Includeing the router. this is for a netgear wnr1000-2 and a old microsoft router. each only gets full duplex and 1 gig if set to autosense. Both routers support PNP bridgeing and auto detection of wire speeds. very handy. and then sometimes causes issues. Often a reset is all that is needed to correct it and gain fulll speeds.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds