Wireless G vs Wireless N routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deepbluwaters, Sep 28, 2008.

1. deepbluwaters

deepbluwaters Private E-2

what difference is there between a wireless G and a wirless N router?
    i currently use a hardwire Linksys router but i need to go wireless and after looking into available products i's unsure of which to pick.
    can anyone offer any suggestions?
    thanks in advance for you input. :confused

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks! If I am not mistaken, the N is newer and faster than the G. If I were buying a new router, I would lean towards the Wirless N. :)

E

3. deepbluwaters

deepbluwaters Private E-2

thanks for the welcome and yes the N router is newer but there is chatter on some boards about it not being finalized yet whereas the G technolgy has been for some time now. the Linksys website also has their N routers listed as (802.11n draft) and of course there are different products to chose from making more difficult to make a decsion.
    after some research, i'm leaning to the Wireless-N Gigabit Router which will give me the greatest connectivity compared to the others.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Did not do my homework on the N series routers...:eek: Got a link to the one you are thinking about getting? I like my Linksys, but it is Wireless G, might be time to upgrade my setup!:cool

E

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Wireless G connection speeds: Up to 54Mbps.
    Wireless N connection speeds: Up to 300Mbps. Due to certain restrictions on my Intel n card, I only hit 130Mbps.

While the spec isn't finalized, the hardware is. If any changes are made during its finalization,it can be changed with a firmware update. Wireles-G was draft spec for a LONG TIME before it was finalized.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Good info Adrynalyne! Killer avatar as well.:-D Always good to have usable data vs rated info. For that kind of transfer rate, I will be loking at my wireless stuff next paycheck.

E

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Look into the dual band 2.4 ghz, 5ghz Wireless N routers. Those are the ones that really hit killer speeds.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Will do. Thanks.

E

9. AirWarrior001

AirWarrior001 Private E-2

Just wanted to share my personal experience with the new N equipment.

I just started a 20up/20down connection with a local fiber optic ISP at my house. When it was installed I tested the connection directly through an ethernet cable and received 20/20. They also setup a wireless Linksys 54g router with internal antennas. My main computer was located about 50 ft away but there was about 3 walls that were in between. My signal strength was always about 40%. My speed tests were always no higher than 5/5 usually 3/5. I tried tweaking many settings on the router but never got much more.

I was kind of doubtful about going the N route, but I finally gave in. I didn't want to spend so much so i went with a DLink router and matching PCI adapter (Really important that you match your components by manufacturer to lessen incompatabilities). Once I got the router setup my connection went up to 80% even before I installed my N PCI adapter. When I did install the adapter it went up to 90-100%. My speed tests also showed a huge improvement testing at 20/20.

Bottom line is match your manufacturers and you should be Ok. I give wireless N 3 thumbs up!!

10. jjperry13

jjperry13 Private E-2

where you got your info on matching components with same manufacturer, I dont know. I have been in the computer field since the 80's and believe me that is not an issue. If it was everyone with a laptop would have a problem because the built in network cards are all different and laptops are used everywhere on wireless. You probably heard that from the same tech that said it is best to always leave you computer on.

11. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Wireless N , according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009) can achieve speeds of up to 600Mb/s if four spatial streams over 40MHz wide channel are used.

Apparently the standard was published in October with no major revisions.

Wireless N also demonstrates a greater range than Wireless b/g products.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds