Wireless internet lost, but still connected to network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoxyphearse, Mar 31, 2011.

1. phoxyphearse

phoxyphearse Private E-2

We've had Verizon FiOS since October 2010, and just started having an issue with the wireless. There's been no change to the setup so I don't know what could cause the problem.

We have one desktop wired to the Verizon Actiontec MI424WR router. Then we have two laptops which connect wirelessly. Both laptops can see and connect to the network with no problem (signal strength 95%), but the internet on both has been very sporadic for the past week or so. And once it goes out, I've had to reset the router to get it back.

I've tried rebooting all three computers, disconnecting the router and reconnecting after 30 seconds, resetting the router using the reset button on the back, restoring the router to factory default, changing wireless channel from automatic to 1, 6, and 11, and moving the router closer to the laptops. All of these methods will fix the problem for about 5-10 minutes, then it's back to the same thing - nothing will load and I get stuck on "sending request" which eventually times out.

When the problem is occurring, I can't even get 192.168.1.1 to load, even though the laptops show they're connected to the network. I've called Verizon tech support and they told me to try the same things I've been doing countless times, but I did, and that fixed the problem for long enough that they assure me it's fixed, only for the problem to come back 5 minutes later.

I've done all I can do with my limited knowledge. I don't know what my next step should be to figure out where the problem lies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I can't imagine what it could be except that the router is going bad. If only one system lost internet then it would be a question. That you can't stay connected for more than a few minutes and rebooting the router fixes it every time leads to only one culprit.

I would call Verizon when it shuts off, tell them that you've been through troubleshooting with them already, that you lose wireless on both of your computers every 10 minutes or so and the only fix for it and the fix that works every single time is to reboot the router. Either you have a good tech person who wants a satisfied customer, or you go through the routine again. If they insist on the routine, humor them once. Let the wireless run for as long as it will -- 10 minutes? -- then call them back - it's out again, just went through troubleshooting for the X# of time 10 minutes ago and wireless died again. Fix it permanently.

If they don't fix it then, recommend that you leave your reviews of their service on the top websites for rating ISP's to your tech person in the nicest, sweetest, most patient voice you can manage. Write down dates and times of the troubleshooting as close as you can remember. Ask for a supervisor.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Check near the router for any other electrical hardware, even a cellphone close by could cause problems, the further away any other devices are the better.

4. phoxyphearse

phoxyphearse Private E-2

Thanks for the replies. I figured I might need to call tech support again, but I know they're just going to give me the runaround so I was hoping there might be an alternative.

There are no other electronic devices in the way of the router. Like I said, the setup has been exactly the same since October. We have the router hardwired to the desktop, and two laptops which connect wirelessly and usually used in the room directly above the router. No cell phones near the router, no microwave, cordless phone, anything like that.

In Google Chrome I am getting mixed errors, sometimes it just says connection timed out, other times it says DNS lookup failed. I can't imagine the router would be going bad so soon, but I suppose it's a possibility. We still have the linksys router we used before FiOS was installed, so I guess I'll look around for ways to use that instead of the Verizon router, to check if that's the problem.

Thanks again for the ideas.

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

ISP's love to give refurbished routers, is it from the ISP?

Interesting error and i am tempted to ask for an ipconfig but really, that's is not your issue. The problem isn't DNS if the wireless signal is disconnected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds