Wireless IP Renewal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Encrypted_Cypher, May 28, 2007.

1. Encrypted_Cypher

Encrypted_Cypher Private E-2

I have an hp laptop pavillion dv4000 with wireless. My wireless used to work fine and gain access to access points without any problems. Then I started messing around with my laptop in order to create a wireless access point from my laptop. This was a success. I was able to create a LAN system from my laptops where other computers connected to and played games. Now the problem is I cannot change it back. I have reverted all the settings for my laptop and the problem still persists. I have narrowed the problem to the following:
    "The ip address cannot be renewed".
    This is what happens when i set the settings of my tcp/ip to automatically obtain ip address. I have tried putting in other ip's (such as 192.168.0.55, 192.168.0.1) but all I can do is connect superficially... I cannot access the internet or use the connection for any of my problems. There was a similar thread to this about using wires to connect pc's. Please Help

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

I do not know what you did to make the Laptop an Access Point???

But it might be that for this purpose the Wireless card is now configured to Ad-Hoc Mode, and it has to be changed back to Infrastructure Mode.

3. Encrypted_Cypher

How do I change it back to infrastructure? The problem isnt only in the wireless settings... My laptop wont even connect to the internet after i plugged in an adsl wire and tried a dail up connection. It connects but i cant use that connection for internet or anything else

4. i-CONICA

i-CONICA Private E-2

go to advanced properties for the wireless card, this varies from card to card so just play around till you find it, the option ad-hoc or infrastucture mode, also you can use a wifi card as an access point but you dont want to, you need to find that setting too, sometimes windows wont have these settings available, you may need the original software that came with the wifi card, once these are changed then you need to connect to the wifi network, and set up the network using the network setup wizard, hope that helps. :major i-CONICA :major

5. Encrypted_Cypher

Umm... i didnt use a wireless card. The wireless was allready in the laptop. Anyway i checked my settings... its set to default (i.e. ad-hoc and infrastructure) i changed it to infrastructure only and nothing happened. I think its a compatability issue... cause i went to my other friend's house and tried to connect from there and it worked. It maybe undoable :S

6. i-CONICA

i-CONICA Private E-2

if you went to your friends house and it works then that almost rules out the laptop as the fault, now you need to look at your wireless router, or if it would be quicker get your friends laptop and try to connect it to your network, if that doesnt work then you definatly know the issue is with your router, if thats the case get back to me with the model of your router, ill check it out and suggest fixes for it, cya soon, :major i-CONICA :major

7. Encrypted_Cypher

I found a program to solve this... its called configfree. Its made for toshiba laptops but if u play with the registry u can make it work on other laptops. Thanx anyways

8. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

So you solve the problem, very Nice.:D

Do you know what the problem was? :eek:

9. i-CONICA

i-CONICA Private E-2

cheers dude, im glad you fixed the problem but we have been picking our brains about this and it would be nice to know what it was, maybe just to better our knowledge? let us know, thanks :major i-CONICA :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds