Wireless keyboard sending wron codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldkiwirocker, Dec 31, 2014.

1. oldkiwirocker

oldkiwirocker Private E-2

I have a strange problem which has just started. I have a feeling that I have had it before a long time ago, but can't remember how or if I resolved it.

I have a Dell Vostro 1000 running XP Pro SP3. I also have a MS Wireless Multimedia keyboard/mouse 1.1 attached which I have used for some years.

I use keyboard shortcuts a LOT! Almost exclusively.

Just this morning, the wireless keyboard has decided that when I press Alt + F4 that, instead of closing the current window, that it should open Notepad instead.

Similarly, in Firefox, when pressing Ctrl + F4 it does not close the current tab but opens a new tab.

Both those shortcuts work if using the laptop keyboard, so I guess that obviously, the codes that the wireless keyboard is sending has changed.

I don't believe that I have changed anything that I am aware of.

I have unplugged the USB wireless connection and reinserted after a few minutes, and also pressed the various 'connect' buttons on both the receiver and keyboard. Nothing restores it.

Any ideas or suggestions (polite and relevant) out there?

I'm sure that it's something simple that I am overlooking.

Thank you in advance for any useful replies.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Both the wireless keyboard and mouse use batteries correct? Have you tried replacing the batteries?

3. oldkiwirocker

An excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, changing batteries didn't work.

It's still the same. I just noticed that F5 which normally refreshes the window has decided to do 'Open File'. Happens to be in my photos, so don't know quite what it thinks it's trying to do. :-D

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Is there a keyboard driver? Could it be configured different from the stock commands? My Logitech can assign any keystroke to any keypress and does Dvorak. It came with profiles for popular games and with a misplaced thumb I have run into your problem as I have the Diablo3 profile set while I am doing Excel.

5. oldkiwirocker

Well, I know you'll 'all' be dying to know, but I have solved my problem.
    I found a key on the keyboard which I have never knowingly pressed or even knew what the hell it did - which is probably why I have never pressed it.

But following this little problem, and the fact that it seemed to be specific to the Function keys, I took a chance and pressed it, and voila! All fixed.

The key in question was labelled F Lock.

Well, duh!rolleyes

I'm still not certain quite what it's function actually is for.

Thanks for the couple of suggestions, though. It made me look a little deeper.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Found this

7. oldkiwirocker

Many thanks Plodr.
    Now I know what it's for. Especially after taking a closer look at the Function keys, and seeing the alternative uses along the top of the keys. I never realised quite why they were there. Makes sense now, although I was never curious enough to find out or experiment with it. I hadn't made the connection between the alternative functions and the F Lock button, but then as I use normal short-cuts via the Ctrl + Letter combinations I have never had a need for them I guess.

But thanks anyway. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds