Wireless N issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jools1976, Dec 14, 2011.

1. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Hey guys. I have 2 computer network (desktop and laptop), both running wireless, which are connected through a Netgear 300N router. Both machines have N300 cards in them but I'm getting weak transfer speeds. The desktop is running at 54.0 mbs, and the laptop is running at 62.0 mbs. It's a little weird that the desktop is at 54.0 mbs, as it's not a G card. My drivers are good to go, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Both are running Windows 7. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Sorry, the laptop's running at 65.0 mbs not 62.0. Not sure if this makes a difference or not...

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Remove any software that you installed from Netgear that handles the cards, along with drivers. Also make sure that you are using WPA, not WPA2, due to with the later, you will not get higher speeds with N. Why, that is something Netgear made a decision doing, which is retarded.

4. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Thanks for the reply. I haven't installed any extra software at all. I'm running WPA2 right now, and when I went to switch to WPA it told me that if I switched I would only get 54 mbs. That being said, I tried in anyway, and it switched to 54mbs. So I'm back on WPA2 again at 65mbs.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What is the exact model of the router?

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The following answers why you are only getting 64mbps.

Why am I not getting the maximum speed that my router is capable of?

Symptom:
    The wireless connection data rate reported by the software utility or other WiFi monitor cannot connect for more than 150 Mbps, even though the router, access point, and/or adapter are advertised as being capable of 270 Mbps or 300 Mbps.

Cause:
    Wi-Fi-certified N routers and access points are required to comply with the "Coexistence Requirement" set forth by Wi-Fi Alliance when operating in dense areas with multiple wireless networks,. The Coexistence Requirement ensures that the N devices operating in the 2.4 GHz frequency band default to 20 MHz operation when operating in close proximity to other Wi-Fi networks.
    Devices operating in the 5 GHz frequency band are not prone to interference and are not subject to the Coexistence Requirement.

Resolution:
    If your router or access point operates on the 2.4 GHz frequency band, your device is functioning as intended.

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19279

It is operating as normal.

7. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I am in a pretty dense area, with about 6 or 7 networks in range. Based on what that article said, my router would be reverting to 2.4GHz in this type of scenario. I must be retarded or something, cause I can't find anywhere in the router setup page that even addresses freqency, in order to check this though. Its a model WNR2000v2.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Here is the user manual ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/products/WNR2000v2/Documentation/UM/WNR2000v2_UM_15JAN2010.pdf go to page 25, which is the basic set up info. Also, change Transmission speed to the max speed, not auto. And set for WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) Mixed mode. That is what I missed when I told you to change the security, sorry. Changing to mixed mode should now allow you to go with max speed, along with changing the transmission speed to the max allowable, instead of letting the router decide. Page 38 explains more about mixed mode.

And as for the workstations, what card is being used in them? They should have power saving feature turned off, and if set up as default setting, they should get the max that the router sends out.

9. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I've already got in set to 300mbs, and I've tried every security option it offers. I looked through the settings for the wireless card (Atheros AR9285), and there isn't anything for power save except "Allow the computer to shut this device off to save power".

10. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Ok here's a little update. I used a program called inSSIDer to check the channels that all the routers in my area are using. My router was set to 'AUTO' for the channel, which after checking through inSSIDer, showed it was running channel 11. As 6 and 11 were what the majority of people were running, in order to minimize interference, I set my router manually to channel 1. The laptop immediately went up to 150 mbs. Great right? Two problems... 1. As soon as I reset the laptop it went right back to 65 mbs (the router stayed on channel 1). Problem 2. The desktop (which was running at 54 mbs) only went up to 65 mbs, and it has a 300N card. I tried pretty much every channel, and although many of them will improve the speed, they all revert back to 65 as soon as the machine is reset.

11. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I just did a LAN speed test between my laptop and desktop, and I'm only getting around 9 mbs writing and 19.xx mbs reading....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds