Wireless Network Adapter Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shuriken UK, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Shuriken UK

Shuriken UK Private First Class

I've recently bought a new network adapter after eliminating my old one as the cause of my extremely slow/weak signal problems. Now the speed & reception is much higher, howEVER, it seems like every single time I turn on the computer, the adapter is flagged as an "unrecognised USB device" by Win7, so I have to go into "Adapter Settings" and "Disable/Enable" just to get the thing to work. There is the rare occasion when I don't have to do that but lets say 8/10 times, I have to reset the thing just so Windows can "see it". This is ofcourse, with the driver fully installed.

Does anyone know how I can just make the thing work as intended? This wasn't mentioned in the manual LOL!

The adapter is a TP-Link (USB 2 device in a USB 2 port), OS: Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

Thanks!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the exact model of the TP-Link brand USB wireless adapter?

3. Shuriken UK

Thanks for the reply, this is a TL-WN823N model. 2.4GHz / 300MBPS / supports 802.11 B,G & N.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

This tutorial for that version might be useful:

5. Shuriken UK

Sadly thats just a basic setup /quickstart tutorial. The installation & setup is simple, its just that the device itself wont connect until I disable/re-enable it. Once its reset, it works fine but I don't understand why I have to do that every time. None of the settings in the driver seem related either. Its strange.

Cheers

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is there a program for this device in Services? Ensure the startup is set to Automatic.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you running the newest driver?
    http://www.tplink.com/ie/support/download/?model=TL-WN823N&version=V1
    ends in 140918, date of 2014/9/18?

Did you install the software utility?

8. Shuriken UK

Thanks for sticking with me!
    Theres no program for the device in Services but there is a 'Config Utility'. It was set to load at startup but IIRC I disabled it by removing it from the 'Task Scheduler' because it seems unnecessary (it does virtually the same thing as the Win7 built in Wifi options but has a slightly more consolidated GUI). I also like to keep the amount of background processes at a real minimum too. Any more than 40 and I start feeling like theres too much going on!

Yea I have the Utility installed. I might have an older driver version. The version numbering system on the site is completely different to how it is on my PC (On PC: v.1.3.1, On Site: 140918) but I'm gonna assume 140918 means v.1.4.0, BUT in the description for this latest version it says the only update is that the Win8.1 driver was added, and there was a Win8.1 driver included on the CD package, however the CD doesn't say anywhere what version it contains. Very confusing!

Things are getting even weirder... Today when I booted the PC, this time it said "Device Driver Succesfully Installed: TP-Link Wireless Adapter #2", then asked me for my password! So I cancelled it all, reset the adapter and it worked normally. This is another new "weird behaviour". I've only got 1 adapter and I haven't changed ANY setting since my first post!

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I use a similar device.
    If I had this issue, I would disconnect the device, unistall and re-install the software. Leave everything at the default settings. Don't remove startup entries or scheduled tasks - they can be disabled at a later stage.
    This is 'normal' Windows 7 behaviour. Mine shows 'Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device #2' and I also have just 1 device. Furthemore, it shows 'Local Area Connection 5'.
    A while back...
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/local-area-connection.293872/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds