Wireless Network Connection Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ckeeler, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ckeeler

ckeeler Private E-2

Hi, I am having internet problems that I am unable to solve. The wireless network itself works fine as I am able to connect to it with multiple devices successfully except for my desktop. My desktop is able to connect to a wireless network extension(since it is a bit too far away from the Router and connecting to the main network does not have a different affect), but at speeds unbelievable slower than what my ISP is providing me with. I have scanned multiple times with my Security program, but haven't found any viruses.
    This has been the problem since July. I am not sure if this is related to it, but I will explain anyways. Before this I had no problems with my internet or my computer, until my previous router died, unexpectedly. My Provider replaced and installed a new one that I have currently but right around then I started to notice that the speed was really off.
    Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

2. vaneets

vaneets Private E-2

Hi

When was the last time you updated your desktop network card drivers. I would give that a try. Also, how old is your desktop compared to other devices you are connecting to the router?

It could be the new router config (20 hz or 40 hz etc.) that might not work well with your desktop (if your desktop is old). How far is the desktop from the router?

Let us know.

Vaneet

3. ckeeler

ckeeler Private E-2

I have never updated the drivers, but I now think they are up to date. My desktop is only a year old so it shouldn't be a config problem. It is in the opposite end of the house from the router, but I have wireless network extender provided by my cable company.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Can you go to speedtest.net and run the test? Report back with the upload and download results.

5. ckeeler

ckeeler Private E-2

The speed is 1.22 mbps for download, 0.45 mbps for up, and 58 ms for ping. I should be receiving 15/5 which is what all my other devices are receiving.

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Did you say that connecting to the router with a wire yieds the same results? When you connect with a wire, you should disable the wireless connection.

7. ckeeler

ckeeler Private E-2

No, when I connect directly to it, there is no problem.

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Very good. If you move the desktop within range of the wireless router without using the wireless extension, does the performance improve? Hover your mouse pointer over the wireless icon on your system tray, what speed does it say you are running at? Is your router a 802.11g or 802.11n device? Is your router a 2 MHZ or a 5 MHz device?

9. ckeeler

ckeeler Private E-2

Sorry for the lack of response, I've just got through my Finals week. The performance does improve, when it is in range. When I hover over the icon it does not mention the speed, but I did notice that the regular network is an 802.11n signal were as the extension is the g version.

10. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Very good. 802.11g speeds max at 54 Mbps while 802.11n should get to 100 Mbps. You have found that the stronger your WI-FI signal is the better chance you have to reach your optimum throughput.

I forgot that getting the throughput speed by hovering your mouse over the wireless symbol on the system tray went away with Windows 7. Instead, CTL+ALT+DEL to task manager. Click the performance tab and then the Resource Monitor button. Go to the Network tab and you will see the network activity section. This should show you the wireless speed real time. Do a sample download when connected to 802.11g (extender) and one connected to 802.11n observe the network activity and compare your results.

Stronger wireless signal usually means better throughput.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds