Wireless Network Fails On Iphone And Acer Laptop, But Toshiba Works Fine?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjs56, Oct 5, 2016.

1. cjs56

cjs56 Private E-2

Friend bought an Acer laptop E5-575-54SM Intel i5-6200U; Windows 10 Home; 4GB RAM; 1TB; WiFi featuring MU-MIMO.

When I connected it to his WiFi network it was very slow. I ran a speedtest. It only gets 1 Mbps where it should be 20 Mbps.

I connected my iPhone to the network but got the same results. So, I assumed it was a problem with the WiFi. However, a different laptop (Toshiba) does get the 20 Mbps speed via WiFi.

Well, that is just not possible.
    Since my iPhone was also slow, I know the problem is with the network.
    But, since the old Toshiba laptop connects fine, the DSL modem and WiFi router are okay.

Two days later, the new Acer was running fine on the network, only to come to a crawl today.

I am stumped.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Sounds like a question to be put to customer service at the Internet Service Provider.
    You could check for driver updates for the various devices but it sounds like an ISP issue to me.

You could also read this article for any tips:
    Tips to Improve Your Wireless Network Performance

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is the Toshiba on or off? Note the speed on the Acer under both situations: Toshiba off and not connected, Toshiba on and connected.
    I've read posts where one computer connected to a network can force all the others to a crawl.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If the Toshiba gets 20Mbps via WiFi, that suggests the local network, and the service you are getting from your ISP are just fine. Once you get to the gateway device (the modem, or modem side of an integrated gateway), the Internet side does not care if a PC, notebook, tablet, cell or whatever. So I don't see how this can be an ISP issue unless the modem or gateway device is being rented from the ISP. You can verify the ISP service is providing the bandwidth according to the contract by connecting a computer via Ethernet to the router (or gateway device if integrated) then run SpeedTest. If getting what you pay for, your Internet connection is good and it could just be a problem with the WiFi side, such as interference or range or too many walls, floors or ceilings in the path.

I agree with plodr. I also think you need to look at the NICs of these devices. Perhaps the Toshiba is connecting via 802.11n while the other devices via slower 11b, for example.

5. cjs56

cjs56 Private E-2

It was the ISP (AT&T). Went back to step 1 and called tech support. Worked with them and determined their line was going bad. Renting router and modem, so they are coming out replace both of them and fix the line -- no charge!

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's great. Hope it all works fine after.

7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Please keep us updated on the results. As I noted before, since the Toshiba worked fine, the other devices should have too since the data packets on the Internet side of the modem are the same, regardless the device.

Are your modem and router integrated into one box? Or are they separate?

Lines do go bad, but that would not explain why the Toshiba worked - unless it was just timing and maybe it was not windy when using the Toshiba, or the line was dry and not when using the cell.

I will be curious if they replace the drop into your house after replacing the router/modem.

Any way, please keep us posted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds