Wireless Network, FIREWALL please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dustinmuyo, Sep 9, 2005.

1. dustinmuyo

dustinmuyo Private E-2

i need help on how to setup up a SECURE firewall

using my DSL accounts, with wireless routers for my other computers in the

home, if I am using SYGATE.

Is this possible to really have a SECURE network?

My main problem is keeping other people in my neighborhood from accessing

my wireless network, as this is a PROBLEM in our neighborhood. Some people

are dishonest and bought only the little wireless unit, and are surfing on

others NETWORKS, and they are not paying.

Thanks guys!

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Have you set up a password or wpa/wep key on your router settings to stop them from getting in?
    And I'd definitely recommend the free version of Zone Alarm!

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

You are mixing togather two unrelated issues.

Wireless Security and Internet security are Not related one to the other.

http://www.ezlan.net/faq#secure

:D

4. dustinmuyo

dustinmuyo Private E-2

okay thanks for the feedback.

ALSO, please, how about this?

Can you direct me to where I can find STEP BY STEP instructions on setting up a network. I am doing to be using Earthlink DSL service as soon as their modem arrives. I need to wireless route 2 other computers to access the cable.

I am not ignorant, but I really would like directions that state which computer is first when setting up, and so forth also.

I have done many things myself like install modems, network cards, and even a hard drive. But this network thing, always always gets me in trouble.

THanks in advance.

5. dustinmuyo

dustinmuyo Private E-2

right, what I am trying to do is get 3 computers on line with the same DSL connection.

Now, do the computers first have to be "home networked through windows" or can i just setup up the internet shared connection?

6. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

do the computers first have to be "home networked through windows" or can i just setup up the internet shared connection?

If just sharing internet via a wireless or wired router, no need for home networking. That is for sharing files and printers.

7. SoloTraveller

SoloTraveller Private First Class

Dustin, relatively simple to set up a shared connection. Got four machines running off of a single DSL connection here at home, two with wireless laptops.

Basically, you need a wireless router: I have a Linksys Wireless B router (BEFW11S4). Connect the wireless router to your DSL modem: the modem will get the public address that the world will see, but the router will give your home machines non-routable IP Addresses (ie, can't be contacted directly from the outside world). If at all possible, I'd suggest setting up the router (initial configuration) with a wired connection: it just makes it easier if you can verify a good network connection to the outside world with a basic wired connection, rather than deal with config AND wireless issues at the same time. Once a wired connection works correctly, then move on to wireless.

Enable wireless on the router; don't worry about WEP just yet: leave WEP/WPA turned off. For the time being, leave the Broadcast Network ID setting turned on in the router; this will let your laptop find your network more easily. Set the Network ID in your wireless TCP/IP settings (or configuration app, like LinkSys does with the newer G cards) to the same as your router setting, and watch to see if your PC can at least see the access point. If so, you're on the way. Reboot if necessary, and check your IP address settings (ipconfig /all); make sure your laptop IP addy is on the correct network (most routers use the 192.168.1.x network). If so, check your connectivity. If you have problems, check back in here.

If you have the wireless set up correctly, there are a couple more steps to getting it a bit more secured. First, disable the Broadcast Network ID setting in your router: you don't want to advertise your network around the block. Second, enable (at least) WEP: start by selecting a 64-bit key, enter a passphrase (nothing simple!), and select a default key (usually 1-4; you'll see this setting on-screen or in your configuration for the router). On your laptop, set either the passphrase or Key, matching the token size (64-bit, 128-bit, etc). Reboot your laptop, and watch to see if it a) finds the network and b) connects correctly. If no errors, check your basic connectivity (try connecting to Google).

As a follow-up, I'd also change the default DHCP address to a non-routable address other than 192.168.1.x; I'd also look into setting up WPA instead of using WEP (WEP isn't terribly secure, to say the least). You might also considering setting up your router to accept connections ONLY from machines of a given network adapter MAC address: set it up to accept the MAC addresses from your two machines only. Yes, this can be spoofed, but your average bandwidth thief doesn't have the skills to do this (or crack WPA).

Let us know how it goes...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds