Wireless Network Signal Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkeys, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jkeys

jkeys Private E-2

My computer was recently infected with some malware. After trying to remove it using security software of various types, I gave up and did a fresh install of Windows, followed by again running different security software just as a precaution. I did this with the help of someone on this website and none of the security software showed any malware after reinstalling Windows. However, I have one remaining problem that seems to have started after the malware infection. It seems that my wireless network signal strength is fluctuating from excellent to poor. In other words, at times the signal strength is great and then suddenly I can see it decreasing to "poor" for a period of time, before it (eventually) returns to "excellent". This same issue occurs several times each hour.

I have a couple of questions regarding this issue. First, is it possible, even after reinstalling Windows and running the various security software, that the malware is still on my computer? Second, is it possible that the malware somehow affected the wireless modem on my computer so that I am now experiencing these signal issues, but that the malware is no longer a threat? If so, is there any way to repair my wireless modem so that the wireless network signal strength no longer fluctuates? My computer doesn't seem to drop the wireless network connection altogether, but the signal strength does decrease to the point where streaming audio or video is impossible for a period of time, at least until the signal strength returns to normal. I suppose that this problem could be unrelated to the malware infection, but I'm not experiencing these same "signal" issues on any other computers connected to this same wireless network, and so this issue seems very suspect.

Thanks very much! I greatly appreciate your help.

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    I would try uninstalling the wireless driver.... start>computer>system>device manager>network adapters> rightclick wireless adapter>uninstall.
    scan for hardware changes and follow prompts to allow windows to find the correct driver. re boot after install. hopefully this may help!!!
    The drop outs could also be down to the router!!! if the last solution does not work i would contact your ISP to run checks on your line, I had a similar problem last year,it turned out that there was too much voltage on my line. also it you should check setting in your router make sure it is set for a nailed up connection, to prevent any drop outs.
    iain.t

3. jkeys

jkeys Private E-2

Thanks iain.t! I had tried to update the driver software, but I hadn't thought of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Unfortunately uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't seem to have worked. It's a bit strange because we have 4 computers (laptops and desktops) that have access to the same router and it is only this one computer that is experiencing this problem. I'll contact our ISP and have them test our line. Thanks for your input!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds