Wireless Network Speed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nick T, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I have Realtek RTL8185 Wireless Lan Utility installed on a desktop running Win XP spk 3. I was wondering is there any way to increase my speed?? It runs between 1.0 Mbps and 11.0 Mbps.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I also should include that I have an AT&T 2wire Gatewy wireless router/modem ,,incoming:7040kbps and outgoing:512kbps.If any of this helps.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

So, you have the 6/1 profile? If you are only getting 1 to 11 meg, the next question is, what do you have the 2wire device set for, wireless-B or Wireless-G, and are you sure that you are connecting to your own gateway, and how far are you from it?

First thing I would do, is uninstall the Realtek Wireless Lan Utility, uninstall the device, then when the computer reboots, it will find the default drivers for it.

What is the manufacturer & model# of the computer in question?

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

The computer is hp pavilion 564w Winxp spk3. I really don't want to uninstall because I don't have a way to reinstall the lan utility.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, you do not need the Lan utility. XP has its own utility called Wireless Zero Config. Uninstall the device, let XP find the default driver for it when it reboots. If it doesn't, you can download the correct drivers from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...ypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8185L As for the utility if you really want it, you can also download from Realtek's site that I pasted. Personally I wouldn't, and just use the XP Wireless Zero Config.

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I'll give it a go. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds