Wireless Networking effected by virus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AVMike, Jun 13, 2006.

1. AVMike

AVMike Private E-2

Hello,

I have a new USB Wirless Adaptor from Netgear which was working like a champ until I got the SurfSideKick Adware and some general worms. It has knocked out Windows Defender and my network connection. I have tried reinstalling all the drivers, disabled/enabled, all the typical things we do as experienced users.

I have limited to connectivity. Normally I have very good connectivity as evidenced by other wireless devices (Laptop).

Any suggestions?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. AVMike

AVMike Private E-2

I ran all the malware removals. I have to say that the HJT package is a godsend. I found a winsock error and it mentioned how to go out to another site to correct it and I got back my internet connection. It was a DNS issue that I couldn't fix. I could get it to talk to my network but not to the internet. The only fall out was I can't "Obtain and Address Automatically" I must give my machine a static IP.

The only thing left is to send a copy of the Log file for HighJack. I can't find in this site how to attach a file with a post and who to send to.

4. AVMike

AVMike Private E-2

I ended cleaning out the system of malware and used HighJacker to check out the system and find out where the trouble was. In the log I found a LSP issue which effect internet. It was a DNS issue brought on by a bad or missing Winsock.dll. HJT pointed me to a site that had a LSPfix application which corrected it. I am amazed that all the info to clean my system and fix this was at this site

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Congrat's .....glad we could help.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds