Wireless Printer on Wired Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluemachine90, Jul 12, 2013.

1. bluemachine90

bluemachine90 Private E-2

Good Evening Everyone!

I am new to the site and had a question thats frustrating me.

I have Internet that has a wireless router, and network plugs.

A wireless Canon Printer, connected to the wireless network.

1 Desktop Windows XP plugged by usb directly to printer, Works perfect

2 Laptops Connected to Wireless Network, windows 7, Works perfect

Then I have another Windows XP Pc connects directly to the router, but can't figure out how to access the wireless printer that is on the network. Do I need to have the printer plugged into the network for me to access it on the desktop?

Thanks,

Derek

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The answer to your question is to install the printer manufacturer's software, and it will find the printer on the network, as long as the printer is on at that time. The CD that came with it, would have the manual on it, and the printer manufacturer's website would also have the info how to set it up.

You do not have to go out searching all over the Internet to find this info. You just need to follow the instruction sheet that was attached to the printer when you got it, if it was brand new in the box. If it was purchased second hand, see the first paragraph above.

BTW, you cannot have the printer on both the wireless network and plugged in via USB to a computer, otherwise it will not work as a wireless network printer. It works as a Shared printer off of a computer at that point.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds