wireless problems lynksys

Discussion in 'Software' started by chad-roscoe, Jul 26, 2005.

1. chad-roscoe

chad-roscoe Private E-2

hello all! hope this is the correct forum....
    we have comcast cable internet with a lynksys wireless router.
    well, like 6 times/day we have to restart the wireless stuff. it always says things like "strength: excellent connectivity: low or worse yet, no connectivity-
    we keep having to click repair connection, or physically shut it off and power back up.
    why is it so bad?
    often times we have to connect through someone else's wireless, belkan 54G.
    i've got an hp noteboook with built in wireless and my hubby has a gateway with a wireless card inserted. he has slightly less trouble than me.
    any ideas on why it sucks so bad?
    thanks
    love~
    frustrated in venice, aka chad-roscoe :eek:

2. chad-roscoe

chad-roscoe Private E-2

Hi--
    I'm not really sure if the IPs are statically assigned or not, unfortunately. The default IP appears to be the same on both of our laptops. I know that, at times, it's routine to clear out the reserve on the Linksys router, but the connectivity issues occur several times daily, often while we are logged on (ie, we don't have to log off and then log back in to experience the problem). Linksys. The router seems to be able to pick up signals--we generally get 2 or more wireless connectivity options. But it seems that something isn't quite right, as our own connection (Comcast) seems to drop off and on even though our router is only about 15 feet away from our laptops.
    Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated as this has become a daily source of frustration in our lives.
    Thanks--
    chad-roscoe

3. chad-roscoe

chad-roscoe Private E-2

they told us they won't support wireless problems... :(
    comcast itself seems to run ok, as we can get comcast, we just cannot get it through our lynksys router, and often that belkin 54 G router, which is somewhere in the vicinity, overrides our lynksys...

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Have you checked in your settings in the properties of you wireless card to see if it checked on automatically obtain dns address??

Sorry if i'm not too clear...really tired...going to bed...i'll check back tomorrow to see what's up!!

Roger

5. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

I have a 2.4 MHZ cordless phone, which is the same frequency as the Linksys wireless router. If I try to use that phone, while I'm on-line with my wireless computer, the computer/router connection is immediately lost. Eventually, after the phone is hung up, the connection will return.

I have also heard that microwave ovens operate at 2.4 MHZ, so that could also be a problem.

There is a provision to change the channel on the router, but I haven't tried it yet. I just use another phone with a different frequency.

I hope your problem is as simple as mine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds