Wireless Router through an Internet Connected Switch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Molotov256, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Molotov256

Molotov256 Private E-2

Hey all, getting in over my head with the home network, but that's usually how I learn cool new stuff.

Existing home network goes like this:

DSL MODEM
    |
    Dedicated Internet Connection Sharing Computer
    |
    SWITCH
    |
    PCs, XBOX, various wall jacks thru the house for easy pluggin' in

I got a new Linksys E1000 wireless router with my AT&T Uverse package, and I want to plug it into one of the switch ports I ran to the living room just for the purpose of having a wireless N access point.

The Setup CD can't find the router from any of my Windows boxes (probably because of the switch I guess?), so I was wondering how to proceed from here.

If I plug a laptop into the router, can I just set up the SSID and password and stuff thru 192.168.1.1 and unplug the laptop when I'm done?

If all of this is just a bad idea, that's legitimate advice too :)

2. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

Some routers prefer you connect to it directly via ethernet cable for the initial setup. Just unplug it when you done if you don't need a wired connection.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You need to have the router replace your computer doing internet connection, theres no reason for the computer to be doing that,

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Ditto Colemanguy's setup. You do get bonus points for your logic though, that's pretty interesting, i see how you got there. A few more hours and you could probably make your current config work but it's not the most logical or efficient or speed friendly method.

New config should look like:

DSL MODEM
    |
    |
    NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTER
    (configure router with the user/password for the dsl login)
    | | | ~~~
    | | | ~~~
    Wired devices wireless devices

You remove the need for the PC controlling the sharing and maybe the switch, depending on how many ports you need. Also, be aware that most home use wireless routers can't run B/G/N at the same time. If you connect a G device wirelessly, your N device will run at G speed too, generally.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds