Wireless router trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A lone swordsman, Oct 12, 2008.

1. A lone swordsman

A lone swordsman Private E-2

I have a Linksys wireless router (model WRT54G, v6) that I've been trying for a long time to get working on my computer (which runs XP and has DSL). However, all it gives me is problems. Normally it cannot even connect to the Internet- I'll go through the setup screen, get the cables right, make sure the LEDs light up correctly, etc- and then go to a screen that asks for IP address, subnet masks, default gateway, etc. I've tried entering the information from both my local area connection's Support screen (right-clicking the computer icon on my taskbar, hitting Status, and going to Support) AND doing the ipconfig /all command in Command Prompt and entering the information I find there. No luck- the router can't connect.

I spoke to tech support on the linksys website and they told me about upgrading the firmware of the router. I downloaded the file and went to upgrade it as usual, but my browser won't connect to the router when I go to upgrade the firmware.

And as though I don't have enough problems, it now won't accept any password I try to enter in during setup, be it the default (admin) or the password I set a long time ago (admin8r).

Does this router just plain suck, or is there a viable solution to all of these issues?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have a simular Linksys that works well. Of course, you could have a bad one.:cry I would try reseting the router (get a pin and press the little button on the back of the router and hold it in for 30 secs or so.

Let it reboot, and with just one computer hooked up to the Linksys, no DSL or anything, see if you can access the router via the browser. Default IP for the router should be 192.168.1.1 and if you reset it, it goes back to the default password: User name- (leave blank) Password should be: admin

When you connect the router, plug the plug into on of the 4 switch ports, not the 'Internet' port.

Post back results.

And Welcome to MajorGeeks!! ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Did you check the WAN port to make sure that you are actually connected to your ISP and get a valid external IP.

DSL-PPPOE http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds