Wireless router works with iPhone but not laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekcat, Jul 1, 2012.

1. geekcat

geekcat Private E-2

For a very long time, I had a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with Speedbooster, and several months ago, it didn't seem to work as well in my home. While the wired router connection to my tower PC (running Windows XP) worked just fine, I would get 1-2 min. spurts of wireless connectivity to my PC laptop running Windows 7. This naturally was very irritating to have the connection come and go.

So, I decided that I would swap it out with the Linksys E1200 Wireless-N300 router.

I set up the new router and named my network the same name as it had been before. The wired router connection to my tower PC (running Windows XP) still works just fine. I also can use the wireless on my iPhone without issue.

However, on my PC laptop running Windows 7, I no longer can connect. It says I am connected when the laptop first boots up, but then I no longer have connection. The very first day I installed the new router, I had 10-15 min. spurts of it working on the laptop, but since that day, I cannot get it to work at all.

My family is visiting, and my mom's netbook which has Windows XP cannot get the connection either. It, too, said that she was connected to the network, but it also dropped the connection.

I'm almost wondering if the problem is with Bright House instead of the router, but if it were, then why would I be able to connect to the network with my iPhone OK?

I have powered off and on the router several times, and that may work for a little while, but then it drops off all over again.

Any suggestions? Would so appreciate your advice, please. Thanks!

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

If you named your network the exact same SSID with the same password, has your mom's netbook been on the old network before?

I would go into each computer's wireless network settings, view the wireless networks it has saved, delete yours off the list. Then look at the available wireless networks, find yours and establish the connection again.

If the Win 7 computer never has worked consistently on any wireless connection, there is some troubleshooting to do with the computer. First would be to redo the connection as instructed above and see if that gives you any connection at all.

If it connects but is still intermittent, check that the network adapter drivers are updated. Can you connect via ethernet cable to the router? Will it stay connected for more than a few minutes when it is wired?

I would be curious how those steps go before recommending further things to try.

3. geekcat

geekcat Private E-2

Thanks for your response!

Yes, my mom's netbook had been on the old network before. I did delete the network from her list and tried adding it back. It sees the network is there, but it still will not connect to it. I tried to "repair" the connection, but that did not work either.

Where would I go to update the network driver adapters?

I forgot to mention before that both my mom's netbook and my PC laptop have AVG software on it. Is it possible that a firewall setting is messing things up in any way?

I know I still need to try to connect the PC laptop to the wired connection, but before I do that, I was wondering if it could be related to AVG.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I was AVG's biggest fan back when AVG free was an anti-virus program and not a full security suite. What version do you have? If you have AVG Internet Security then I would be suspicious.

Updating drivers can be done a number of ways. Many computer makers have a place on their site to check for updates. Dell has a update site where you type in the tag number of your computer and it tells you what is available. You can also look up the model of your wireless card in the device manager, note the version and google the manufacturers update site to see if there is something newer. Sometimes an update will be listed in the "Recommended" section of Windows Update if you go to the windows update site via IE. It's a good practice to update occasionally and carefully -- updates can (DO!) go bad so I like to update just a few things at a time and not 50 at a time if i can avoid it.

I doubt a missing update is the issue you are having as your mom's netbook is now doing the same thing. Start with AVG, your suspicion is probably spot on.

5. geekcat

geekcat Private E-2

Sorry it has taken me awhile to respond - craziness with my job.

Anyway, I have AVG Internet Security 2012. I turned off the firewall, and I also turned off the Windows Firewall...no luck whatsoever.

I did successfully connect my laptop to the wired connection from the router; in fact, I'm using it right now to write this message.

In the network driver adapters, it says I have 2...Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (which I'm guessing is what controls the wired connection?) and the Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter.

In doing a quick google search, it seems that others operating Windows 7 have had many issues with this particular Atheros adapter constantly losing connection after a minute or two. I am unable to connect wirelessly at all. The weird thing is that it says that I am connected to the network, but the top portion of the little window that appears says I am not, and I see a park bench icon (not the home setting).

Atheros.cz seems to offer drivers, but I'm not sure if it is a reputable site? I ended up turning back on the firewall with AVG, and as I said, I am obviously online with the wired connection right now. Hope you have some suggestions as to what I should try next. Thanks so much in advance!

6. geekcat

geekcat Private E-2

I just did a couple of Windows Updates, and there was still no improvement. I just powered off and on the router. I am now writing this from the wireless connection. HOWEVER - it is dropping out here and there every couple of minutes. What I meant earlier with the screen that appears was the "Currently connected to" part had shown a park bench saying that there was no Internet access (even though it said below that line that I WAS connected to the network). Now, it has changed from the park bench to the name of my home network (and has the house icon).

Hmmmm...I am hopeful that the update might have resolved things, but I am still uncertain. Is there anything that you would recommend I check or test to make sure everything is operating now as it should?

7. geekcat

geekcat Private E-2

Wanted to provide another update that I am once again unable to connect wirelessly. So hope you can please assist me - thanks!

8. MikeCLB

MikeCLB Private E-2

I started to get this same problem on Saturday. Did you ever figure out how to fix the issue?

I replaced the modem and now my iPhone and Apple TV connect to the wireless. Also my micro-cell started to work again but my laptops still cannot connect to the wireless. They do work when wired.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

9. sijugk

sijugk Private E-2

So it means only iPhone is able to connect to the wireless network, isn't it? Are you sure the iPhone is connected to the original network(in some cases wireless devices may catch other wireless networks ) ?

Some workarounds:

1. Change the SSID (Wireless Network Name) from your Router

2. Disable Wireless security and check whether Laptop can connect to the new network.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  10. geekcat

geekcat Private E-2

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was out of town when your message came through. I never had success getting things to connect on the laptops.

In response to sijugk's comment, I know that my iPhone isn't connected to a different network; this network does work fine wirelessly for my PS3, iMac, and iPhone. It still does not work for PC laptops that are running Windows XP and Windows 7.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds