wireless routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doc43, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Doc43

Doc43 Private First Class

I just bought a HP laptop. I've never owned one before. I also have a Desktop PC that I want to keep as wired. I use Earthlink DSL its a model# 660 series. I need to find out which type of router I need. I bought a Belkin wireless but after 6 hours with technician He just gave up. Would have been nice to speak to someone that speaks English. My neighbor sugessted a Ativa wireless. I just want to have some kind of idea before I go to Office depot and pick up the wrong kind.
    Both computers are running Vista.
    Thanks!

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Do you need the router to connect you to the internet as well?

If so what type of internet do you have?

3. Doc43

Earthlink Dsl but I want my laptop to be wireless.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

As far as I know, Ativa is not a manufacturer or routers, or any other computer hardware. They are a software company, assuming you mean http://www.ativa.com/. So, Ativa has nothing to offer regarding your quest to get wireless Internet access with your laptop.

Actually, any brand wireless router should work. So, I don't know what was the problem with the Belkin. Exactly what model is it? You may be able to return that router to the retailer.

I'm a former Earthlink customer and also had a 660 series DSL modem. At the time, I used a D-Link DI-604 router with that modem. The DI-604 is not wireless.

Due to a change in DSL provider necessitated by a change in the local phone company, which is the sole DSL provider here, Embarq is now my ISP. And, like you, I wanted wireless access when I bought my first laptop. I now have a D-Link DI-524 wireless router.

The LINKSYS WRT54GL seems to be a popular router. See http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190 and see the solid customer review ratings there.

Note: I did not see Digitalocksmith's post before I posted.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A large number of dsl providers supply a modem which also acts as a router. When you add a router to the network, you have to set it to bridged mode otherwise, you have two hardware firewalls working and that's why you can't get out.
    What is the brand of dsl modem (model is 600 but we still need to know the brand)?

6. Doc43

From what i can gather it is a EQ660R-ADSL Router made by Embarq. Hope that helps. Also, I don't know how to set my computer to bridged mpode.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

That rings a bell in my brain. I had forgotten about that but now I recall having to go through that procedure with my original DSL modem and the router I had then, the DI-604. I called my ISP, which was Sprint at that time, and tech support guided me through the "bridging" procedure. I don't think I'd have been able to do it without their assistance.

8. Doc43

Thanks

9. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

10. plodr

Before you buy a router, let me see what the IP is for your dsl modem.
    It can be a major headache if both pieces of hardware use the same IP to access the control panel. Since routers have different IPs, it is far easier to purchase a brand that does not use the same IP.

11. plodr

Can you check this? I believe the IP of your Embarq is 192.168.2.1
    Please put that address into your browser bar and check if the adsl modem/router screen comes up.

The Belkin and now defunct MS routers also use this address so avoid a Belkin router if 192.168.2.1 is the proper address for your adsl modem/router.

12. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Honestly, any current router should work with any current wireless device ... unless I'm not understanding the question ...

13. Doc43

I bought a Linksys Wireless WRT54G2 router plugged it in and in 3 minutes was up and running. Have had no problems. Thanks for all of advice. I guess the bridge thing was done by the CD as I never had to do it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds