Wireless with Windows 2000 pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RezRunner, Apr 21, 2007.

1. RezRunner

RezRunner Private E-2

Just curious what I would have to do to set up my windows 2000 pro machine to connect wireless? Is it possible without some expensive program? confused

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Perhaps if you were a bit more specific?

Is the pc a laptop or desktop?
    Do you mean to connect it to an existing wireless network or to use it to establish a new one? Both are possible.

Whatever you do you will need to buy some additional kit, but exactly what depends on the nature of the task. If you can indicate where you are it would help if you would like Geeks to suggest suppliers.

Studio T

3. RezRunner

RezRunner Private E-2

Ok it's a laptop and I do have a Compaq restore disk that will reinstall their version of Windows XP home, If I had a ligit copy of Windows XP Home or pro, I would install that, I just am not liking the Compaq version. Actually I don't think I have enough ram to run XP adequately. 256M, I do have a ligit copy of Windows 2000 Pro. I have connected wireless with this computer but since I want to step back and use Win2000, I just would like to know what I might need, I have a wireless router and NIC, I just need the specifics on how to setup Windows 2000 pro for wireless

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Did you say your laptop has an inbuilt wireless capability?

Look at

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx
    and
    http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/results.aspx?bCatID=1466&cpID=0&ocID=0&OR=1

To see if the wireless chips are listed as win2k compatible.
    Look in device manager to find our what you have.

You will still have to find Win2k drivers. XP has the drivers built in. If you have to buy an add on the pcmcia type are the least intrusive, make sure it has win 2k drivers.

To do it without drivers you could get an external adapter/receiver, and control the box via an ethernet link, but this rather defeats the object of having a laptop.

You may find it cheaper to buy an extra 256 of memory and use the XP disk though.

Studio T

5. RezRunner

RezRunner Private E-2

Actually I have a wireless card Motorola that I plug in, I have been told that it's a pain to connect wireless with Windows 2000 and I really don't have alot of experience with Windows 2000, I kinda skipped from 98 to XP. I just happen to have a copy of Windows 2000, that I acquired with alot of stuff and I thought I would use it instead of upgrading an 6 year old laptop

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds