Wireless wont work on debian

Discussion in 'Software' started by X-Z3R0, Sep 8, 2007.

1. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

I just installed Debian Etch 4.0 (i used the 3 DVD's but it only asked for one?) and i've been trying to get my wireless internet working on it but so far no success. I have all the ndiswrapper packages and madwifi packages on it, ndiswrapper has my driver loaded (PRISMA02.inf) and tells me the drivers present. when i type modprobe ndiswrapper i get "FATAL: Module not found". Im guessing its not in the right file? Does anyone know how to get modprobe to read ndiswrapper, or another way to get my D-Link DWL G-122 working?

Thanks
    Nick

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

thank you for the link! im installing something right now so ill try that later on. Question...if i updated my kernel and reinstalled ndiswrapper would it work? i was also gonna try that r2x00 driver or whatever the number is...i need a kernel update though. would either of those work too?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That I do not know, sorry. I've not yet used wireless with Linux, although I will be going wireless on my nix machine soon.

5. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I've had good luck with Mandriva, and Mandriva based PCLOS, both with a USB wireless adapter (Ativa) and a Compaq Presario laptop's wireless adapter. Our D-Link wireless router uses WEP, and was detected on both computers with their respective adapters. Picked the .inf file for each through mnt, typed in the routers code, and that was it. I realize I need to get WPA, but a bit of hardware security is better than none at all. I sure would have like to have gone with Debian or Knoppix, maybe the next release.
    Bug

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds