Wiring ethernet wall plates through the wall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loninappleton, Jan 6, 2015.

1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I went to the local big box and got two items for wall mounting:

1.) A plate with modular phone jack and Ethernet jack

2.) a plate with ethernet jack only.

I have wired up modular phone jacks by the color code.

What is unclear is matching up the 8 solid color wires on the ethernet terminals with the patch cord from a broken ethernet cat 5 patch cable. The standard cat 5 contains a number of striped wires.

I will show how the ethernet terminal plate wires look:

from two columns left and right from top

1.) white 5 blue
    2.) brown 6 orange
    3.) yellow 7 black
    4.) green 8 red

The goal is to simply run a piece of cat 5 jumper between the two plates and
    attach to the wall. I formerly had my ethernet cable going through a punched hole in the wall. Now I wish to make it more permanent.

The company making the plates is CE Tech and they come from the Home Depot.

I have not opened up any packaging yet in case this is a poor idea or the wires can't be confirmed. I see no diagram materials in the blister pack.
    These are the solid color ones.

How do they match up with the various striped ones in the cat 5?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Sounds like you got phone jacks, those colors are wrong for network cable.
    Does an RJ45 (ethernet plug) fit in the jack? then you could use that just wire the same color code on both ends.

CAT 5 has eight wires / 4 pairs
    orange / orange white (stripe)
    blue / blue white
    green / green white
    brown / brown white

The punchdown jacks (if that is what you got) should have a color code sticker wher you put the wires. One for 568A and another for 568B.

Use 568B on both ends and you'll be fine.

The punchdown jacks come with a free tool? some do, if not get a cheap tool that has a cutter and makesure the cutter is on the outside of the jack when you punch.

videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=punchdown

3. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Thanks for answering. I took back the terminal wall plates. Even HD user forum said they were worthless and it's much better to get the keystone variety with a punch down device or the tool less sort.

I've viewed some how- tos at the 'Tube on how to use the keystone style installations.

One additional thing: how do I look up RJ11 keystone jacks and is the assembly system different from punch down? Or are they the same? I scan/read someplace that the wiring is simply different and that you could use your Cat5 for everything.

And what is Cat6? For that I can go to the wiki.

Word... share box at bottom of screen is still annoying.

Thanks for answering.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds