Witcher 2 video issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by lego126, Jun 6, 2011.

1. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

While playing the witcher 2 at certain points in the game my screen is getting screwy. I'm not sure if anyone else is having any problems?? :confused
    In chapter 1 while going outside in the rain everythign gets scrambled. I'll take a few screenshots and post them. I'm at work right now. I'm not sure what setting I have the video on, but I'd bet medium. I've only got a nvidia 9800 GTX 512. I checked my temps when it happened and them were around 115 F, and then it did it later on while they were around 105 F. When it does it, at first I would just load the last save, and it was good, but it did it at the end of chapter 1 last night during a cut scene, so I stayed with it, and as soon as the cut scene was over (when you are walking as the king chapter 2) it cleared up. I know my driver is not up to date, I had to roll back. For some reason last time I updated, I lost my nvidia desktop manager, so I rolled back, and haven't tried update again. just wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Not happening to me... but those card temps are a bit hot, to put it mildly. Take down all your video settings and see if that makes a difference in temps. Clean out dust from the card, make sure the fan is running, and so on. That's way too hot.

3. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I've just cleaned out the case and video card less than a week ago. It usually stays around 68-70 F in my house but here in the SE US, we've had about 2 weeks of 90F-95F weather, when it was up to 115F, it was in the middle of the day and inside the house it was around 75-80F even with the AC wide open. Later on in the evening as it cooled off thats when the temps dropped. What should be the normal op. temps? I know it would vary, but what should max be you think? I'll start vga precision and keep a check that way, those temps I gave you before were from an external source, not software. I'll turn my setting down and see how that runs. Thanks

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

For the 9800 GTX it is 105c or 221 f ( I think ) :)

5. Mimsy

It is rated up to 105C, meaning that at that temperature, it's starting to drastically cut performance to save it's own life. Keeping the card at that level for too long in inadvisable, and above it is definitely not recommended. The card is supposed to shut itself down, but there's no point tempting fate and Murphy more than necessary with our computer parts. ;)

6. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Back in the OP, I'm not sure if you misunderstood me mimsy, but the card is reading 105-115 Fahrenheit which is 40-45 Celsius. I can't imagine that being too hot.... :confused ... I turned down my setting last night and replayed the end of the 1st chapter, it didn't happen witht eh setting turned down. Guess I'll play it with a lil' lower settings. I was really suprised to how good the game looked even with my older card. Thanks for the help. :cool

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yeah, I realize that is the highest temp, hence why I posted it, his 40-45 c, is no where near the max. Well, half way to the max. ;)

8. Mimsy

Heh, I'm so used to seeing computer temps in Celcius that I completel missed that little F there. My bad LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds