wlan networking question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biomurph1, Jan 9, 2006.

1. biomurph1

biomurph1 Private E-2

Trying to connect a new compaq notebook to a preexisting wlan. Everytime I try to connect (view wireless networks and highlight the one I want and press connect) it quickly states that the network is "automatic" instead of saying "connected". Nevertheless, it will not go online.

This same notebook easily connects to my neighbors network with no issues. My question is, what does "automatic" mean and how do I fix this issue?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Is the network in your "Preferred Connections" in the Wlan properties? Is the key entered properly? What is the scheme (WPA-PSK or WEP)?

3. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

You can make radio contact without getting a TCP/IP conection. As the other post indicates this is often due to security on the network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds