wmiprvse.exe and services.exe constantly using cpu power

Discussion in 'Software' started by a_hansen, Nov 9, 2008.

1. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

Hi,
    all of a sudden I have a constant presence of wmiprvse.exe and sevices.exe using on average 25% of CPU power all the time.

This happened yesterday evening after doing some PC maintenance. I ran CCleaner, Reg Supreme (a reg cleaner) and finally defragmented my c: drive.

Since noticing the problems I have reverted the registry cleaning.

I have also run Microsofts WMI Diagnostic tool. The logs produced talks about potential problems, but I am unable to interpret these logs.

One log from the above tool is attached - does it indicate that the problems have something to do with user accounts being changed? (I use this PC as administrator and have not changed anything deliberately)

OS is Win XP Pro SP3

Please advise

2. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

Thanks for responding,
    since I have never used the repair option before: will that automatically identify which files are missing or will it replace a large number of system files? Can it affect installed programs?

3. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

Thank you,
    seems to be the way to go. Sfc scannow asks for the xp cd to install files. Now I just got to borrow that cd from the place where I work. My PC is purchased second hand from work with a clean install of XP made by them.

As I understand it using a XP cd with no service packs built in will work even though I am now on SP3. I'll just have to visit WUpdate afterwards, right?

4. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

Reporting back. I ran sfc /scannow and let it load files from the xp cd. It didn't resolve the issue though. Tried reverting to an older restore point in system restore and that did the trick. Monitoring registry activity with Regmon, I can still see some more registry activity than before, but my PC is back to 99% of system idle process.

One question: could the sfc /scannow have replaced updated (by windows update) system files with older versions? I am up to date accordning to wupdate. Should I uninstall SP3 and install it once again just to be safe? :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds