WMP 'Internal Appliction error'

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coeman, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Coeman

Coeman Private E-2

Whenever i start windows media player 10 i recieve the following message 'internal aplliction error' and thats it. I have tried reinstalling, didn't work. Ihave tried reinstalling my windows xp from the reboot cd. Still the message appears.

I looked on windows website for the problem.
    I tried registering two dll files jscript.dll, vbscript.dll
    I tried editing the registery, but still nothing.

I need some help.
    Please please please help me. Thanks

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Try This
    Start/ click Run--
    In the open box, type
    regsvr32 jscript.dll and then click OK.
    --Click Start/ click Run again and in the open box, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK.

3. Coeman

Coeman Private E-2

Nope still no good, im using service pack 1 still ,because SP2 crashed my computer last time, does that have any effect. Am i missing an update.

Please help thanks

4. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Sure does,have you done any research on why SP2 will not install?

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

When you say, still no good, do you mean that you have tried the above suggestion and it errored? Or are you saying that you didn't get an error and still no good?

Are you running WMP10 by itself, within a browser, or by double clicking a video file?

Have you tried uninstalling WMP10?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  6. Coeman

Coeman Private E-2

I tried the suggestion given but the same error message appears.
    Last time i installed SP 2 my whole computer chrashed and wouldn't start up so im reluctant to install that again.

The message appears whenever i try to use WMP.

7. Coeman

Coeman Private E-2

:) I fixed it. I had tried unstalling it previously but a different error message appeared. It didnt this time, so i rolled it back and reinstalled WMP 10.

Does anyone know why SP2 crashed my computer? I want to update windows but i'm scared that it will crash completley again.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'm afraid that this question is terribly difficult to answer with the amount of information you've provided. If you're serious about finding an answer, post as much info as you can.
    My immediate advice would be to go through device manager, and make sure all drivers are up-to-date before re-trying SP2.

9. Coeman

Coeman Private E-2

Sorry about lack on information. It was quite a long time ago when SP2 first came out.
    Before the computer reached the windows load up screen, it came up with an error message at the bottom of the page syaing 'Disk Read Error' and the only option was to restart. There were no disks in the computer at the time.

The windows disk wouldn't let me repair the system so i ahd to wipe everything and start again. Hence why i am reluctant to install SP2.

Any suggestion will be helpful. Thanks

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh, I'm no fan of SP2 myself. Why patch to protect from viruses, if the patch is worse than the virus, hmm?

However, this does not sound like a problem with SP2, if it is, I would say it's a bit of an anomaly. Disk read error does not necessarily mean that there was an error reading a floppy or CD ROM...your hard drive is also referred to as a local disk. I would run check disk on c:, create a restore point, upgrade all drivers possible, and try SP2 again. This way, if SP2 doesn't suit your taste, you should be able to uninstall it, and failing that, restore back to before you installed it.

11. Coeman

Coeman Private E-2

When you say create a restore point do you mean with system restore?
    How would i unistall if i cant reach windows?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

12. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, by restore point, I mean system restore.

The next question, I can't answer. Check here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/uninstalling_patches.asp
    These are the steps necessary to remove a patch from the command line.

But, if you follow the steps I've given, you shouldn't have such a problem. If you're seriously interested in doing this, and seriously afraid of a crash as you had earlier, I would recommend that you back up your data. Then a format wouldn't be so painful.

If you're interested, you can google XP unattended install. There are several tutorials that will teach you how to install XP automatically (ie, enter computer name, date/time settings, etc) and install applications, activate windows, restore data from backup, etc. This would be handy to do in the event that you do have to format and reinstall.

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

14. Coeman

Coeman Private E-2

Thanks i might look into doing that. You have been a big help. Do you know of anyone else who also had this problem with SP2, is it a common thing or am i on my own with this one?

I hope it works out. I will back up everything and try it at weekend when i have more time.

Once again thanks for the help.

15. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Bubbles, ComputerGate and myself are all users of this forum who have experienced difficulties with SP2. You're not alone.

Most everyone else rants and raves about it though...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds