WMP won't play radio

Discussion in 'Software' started by ramage316, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

When I try to listen to a radio station through WMP which is embedded within my internet browser, it doesn't play. I've tried searching for solutions but can't find any. This happens in all internet browsers, not one in particular.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, ramage316.

We need some more info from you: what's the make and model # of your machine, the operating system version and Service Pack #, and the Windows Media Player version #?

Also, please download and run Speccy, a free system information tool.

When the scan completes, click File > Save as Text file, name the file 'Report', and save to an easily found location, such as your Desktop.

(NOTE: Speccy will record and display your Windows Product Key - if you don't wish this to be seen, just edit it out of the report).

Then attach that file to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

3. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Hi hope this helps. Please see attached.

I'm using WMP 11.

Attached Files:

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Does WMP function normally in other scenarios, such as playing local audio files?

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Also, is this just one particular station, or all radio stations?

Could you provide a link so we can try it out on our own pc's?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I do not have WMP set up on this computer (XP Home) meaning it is non-functional.
    I go here http://www.live365.com/index.live
    and have no trouble streaming audio (FF 3.6.13) so that site doesn't need WMP to function.

Please give us a link to a site and also what browser are you using.

7. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Stations plays ok for me, so it's not the sites. Not sure what your problem might be.

8. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I'm using Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.13

I've also experienced same problem in IE and Chrome.

I'm trying to listen to this station - http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-live?popup=1

The ad plays fine then once as it looks as if the station is about to load, it starts to say "connecting to media", then "opening media", then "play" - but i can't hear anything. Nothing.

WMP works fine when playing local audio files.

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Open WMP and click Organize> Options. Are all the boxes checked as shown?

[​IMG]

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I hear it with no problem, so it isn't WMP as a requisite because I don't have mine configured. I thought I'd be refused because I'm in the US, not the UK but after sitting through the commercials, I got the sports newsreader discussing UK sports.

You might not have the proper codecs installed.

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've never figured out FF and these embedded players. I get the same symptoms as the OP--commercial okay and then blank screen.

No problem in IE. (I actually have the IEview FF addon installed just for this reason. So I can open the page I'm trying to view in FF directly in IE with a right-click)

I'll be interested if someone figures this out. It has been bothering me for years.

12. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Fx prompts for a plugin. Since Fx can't locate one, one gets redirected to:- http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx :eek

Downloaded the plug( Avast all clear as was MBAM) to desktop shutdown Fx and installed.
    Restarted Fx and the site works.
    Some info from:- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:Windows_Media_Player
    Cheers..

13. sach2

I just wanted to clarify if I confused things. My problem is somewhat different than the OP's so please help him out. (I don't see the embedded WMP player at all after the commercial--The OP sees the player trying to connect to media and play but doesn't hear anything at that point)

14. tgell

I tried this site with firefox. First I had to allow flash and then once I did that, FF prompted me to install a WMP plugin which I did not do.

15. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I missed the bus! As sach2 points out
    If the OP gets to the media player trying to connect. I'd say the plug is already there.
    Cheers..

16. sach2

To the OP have you checked the volume on the embedded player? It appears that the ad is a flash object where the volume is completely separate from the media player. Does the counter on the far right of the player count off seconds as if the file is moving forward?

I was trying to avoid confusing this thread since my problem was different but I wanted to let people know that sikvik has helped solve my problem, where the player did not appear at all after the commercial.

sikvik asked if the Microsoft windows media player Pulgin 1.0.0.8 showed in my list of FF plugins and when I checked it did not. I downloaded the plugin but when I ran it, I was only given the option to repair or remove as it appears it was already installed. I chose repair and no change in that the player failed to work.
    I then went back and chose to let the installer remove the plugin which it did. I then reinstalled. Now, for the first time in years I can actually play files using the WMP plugin within FF. [My guess is that it has something to do with MozBackup. I have been using that program for quite some time to transfer extensions and plugins to new FF installs. Maybe it is unable to correctly install the Microsoft WMP plugin for some reason?]

Anyway, Thanks! to sikvik for helping out with this longstanding problem. :clap :)

17. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Please see attached screen shot. All are ticked but I have nothing in the proxy settings box. does this matter?

The volume is indeed up to full level. There is no timer that would tend to indicate that something is playing. Just a blank screen that has the word "ready" next to the play button and when I click it, nothing happens. It doesn't work in IE either

Attached Files:

18. tgell

You should have something there. When you click configure, is the button that says to use browser proxy settings checked? You can try to click the button to automatically check proxy settings.

[​IMG]

Edit: I see that in your image, the configure button is grayed out. I am not sure why that is. Maybe somebody here can give their thoughts about that.

19. sach2

My streaming is working and I was unable to clear the proxy list using a variation of the following command. I tried the first fix from this link using the unregister command to see if I could duplicate your problem but it made no difference. However, because the first post is exactly your problem and had success, I think it is worth trying to register the dll just in case it is the problem. It should be registered anyway so no harm in trying.

20. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I've tried this and it still doesn't work. I found these settings in FF and selected auto check proxy settings. This still doesn't help.

Anymore ideas??

21. tgell

Did you try sach2's suggestion to register wmnetmgr.dll?

22. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I hadn't tried his suggestion as I wasn't too sure what he meant...

However, I ran the command and i'm now listening to the radio!

Thanks Sach2!

Been a while since i used this forum but always find a way around the problems eventually!

23. sach2

Glad it worked for you!

Sorry, my post wasn't more clear. :(

Between my misreading the original problem as being the same as mine and trying different fixes before posting, I was jumping around a bit and leaving things out of my explanation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds