WNDR3400v2 Security Settings and Guest Networks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doom, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Doom

Doom Private E-2

Hey guys, I'm setting up my network using a WNDR3400v2 and had a few questions about making it secure.

I want to enable the guest network so that others who might stop by could be able to have access to the internet but not be able to access shared files and printers that would be located on the main network.

I was hoping to be able to take all the main devices in the home that would be permitted to perform file and printer sharing, including access to the ReadyShare USB device plugged into the router, obtain their MAC Address's and add them into the routers firewall settings so that they would be the only ones permitted essentially.

The question I have is would this interfere with the guest internet access? If I'm going about this the wrong way, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You are talking about two different things. Enabling "Guest" access, there will be a setting in the router, that will allow it to open its internal firewall, to allow access to the Private LAN.

As long as there is not a connection between the two lan's, the public user will not be able to see anything on the private side. Really should read the info at the manufacturer website that gives the info on how to set this unit up. Also it is pretty straight forward when you go through the setup process, and check or uncheck the boxes for various items. Not that hard of a router to setup.

3. Doom

Doom Private E-2

Yeah I was reading through the manual about the setup. It didn't seem that hard, I just wanted to make sure one setting (the firewall MAC filtering) wouldn't interfere with 'guests' joining for internet.

I know in the manual it says that users on the guest side wouldn't be able to see each other anyway, not that it would matter since the guests would only be using internet as required for meetings and such.

It sounds like from what you said though, it shouldn't matter though since the way it gets set up is essentially two different lans. I didn't know that's how it would be. Thanks.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Do not worry about using MAC filtering. MAC's can be spoofed to get around it. Unless you are using a Radius server, just go with standard protocol. You can always change the guest key after they leave, so that only those who you want on it, when they come over, can get on.

As for two different LAN's, what you have is a Public WIFI only LAN, then you have the Private Wired/Wifi mixed LAN.

5. Doom

Doom Private E-2

Alright, thanks. I never really knew much about security settings and when I read the description of MAC filtering, I figured that would be one of the most secure things you could do, but I guess not.

Without MAC filtering I really wouldn't have a need for the guest network then. I was mainly just concerned with any shared files & printers that could be accessed by anyone unwanted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds