Woah! Some fonts look weird in IE11 on Win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by MRM, Mar 27, 2014.

1. MRM

MRM Private E-2

We upgraded several of our machines at work to Windows 7. I noticed on Internet Explorer 7, some fonts look weird (see attachment). What causes that and is there a way to make it better?

Attached Files:

• 7ss.jpg
      7ss.jpg
      File size:
      64.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did you check the video drivers? That doesn't look like a font issue to me.

3. MRM

MRM Private E-2

I checked them and they are up to date.

For a reference, see the attachment for what the same page looks like in Firefox.

Attached Files:

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. MRM

MRM Private E-2

I checked the clear type settings and everything was fine. I may check another PC to compare. It's just certain fonts that are doing this.

Attached Files:

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hey there, can you link me to that first (is it craigslist?) site?

I want to see if they are using a certain font.

Also, reset IE back to defaults to make sure nobody changed it.

7. MRM

MRM Private E-2

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thanks.

Ok, that font is Times.

Try this. Go to control panel, fonts.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts

On the left go to Fonts Settings, and then click 'Restore default font settings'.

9. MRM

MRM Private E-2

Unfortunately, that did nothing.

I also got the same looking font in an email that displayed like that. It is Helvetica.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Has this been happening since the install of Windows 7?

11. MRM

MRM Private E-2

Yes, new machine. Been that way from the start that I remember.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Could you try SafeMode w/ Networking for me and see if the same issue appears on pages?

Unless IE is damaged, I have a hard time understanding what the cause could be. It seems unlikely that fonts are damaged because other browsers use those fonts too. You did reset IE, right?

You might also want to try Internet Explorer with no add-ons:

Winkey on keyboard + r:

iexplore.exe -extoff

13. MRM

MRM Private E-2

I looked on a new machine that has had nothing (except Windows updates) added to it and there is a difference.

Attached Files:

14. MRM

MRM Private E-2

One other thing. These new machines that are doing this had old files, info, etc. transferred from the XP machines using the transfer wizard. The image off the last computer image has not had that done yet. I'm wondering if something transferred that has messed up these fonts.

15. MRM

MRM Private E-2

I conducted a bit of an experiment. The last new machine I had I used the easy transfer wizard from my old one to the new one to see if something gets transferred to corrupt the fonts. Well, nothing changed. After that, I installed a bunch of our fonts we use and did not copy over any that were already on the new machine. That changed them on IE. So there's a bad font in there somewhere. I'll have to narrow it down and see if removing it fixes it.

16. MRM

MRM Private E-2

One more follow up. The font in question is Helvetica. There appears to be a couple of different variations of it. I copied the version off my home computer onto the work computer and it fixed the issue. Not sure how often I need this font, so I may get rid of it.

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thanks for the heads up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds