Wont boot past BIOS. P4 1.7 GHz compaq, 1024MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wumpsdad, Mar 13, 2010.

1. wumpsdad

wumpsdad Private E-2

Pentium 4 1.7 GHz, 1024 mb [2*256, 1* 512], Compaq.

Found this machine without HD or memory.
    its misbehaving-
    Added an old HD and booted one time to XP but I couldn't pass the admion login screen without the password. With other HDs it had various problems. It said a few times an error with the IDE cable. I tried 4 different ones and kept getting the same error, so I doubt its that.

I removed the battery and reset the CMOS then replaced the battery. On startup the memory counts up and stops at 832 mb and a message says there is a problem with the memory and to try removing memory sticks to isolate it. That is 192 mb short of the total: Is that relevant?

Now it gives 2 beeps at startup, which if what I have read on these sites in correct means a memory error.
    So I tried the different sticks separately but with all it gives a 2 beep code at startup.
    I swapped the HD again, and maybe that is another separate problem, as an IDE DPS self test says it failed completion code 7. Now when I try to boot I get

"NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart".

Also, when I go to BIOS, often the boot order has changed by itself. Also, one of the first times I went to BIOS it didn't even recognize a hard drive but then booted from it anyway!

I am not offered in the bios any Voltage analysis of the system to check the PSU.

I am no expert, but suspect possibly dusty contacts in the memory as it was empty and dusty when I found it. I vacuumed the inside. Since I have such an array of problems, I thought possibly a dodgy PSU? Or are we talking MOBO is a MOFO?

Your collective super geek intelligent input is much appreciated,

Wumpsdad

2. tr00pertj

tr00pertj Private E-2

G`day wumpsdad

I`m no expert but I`ve built heaps of systems so here goes.

First leave it plugged into the wall but power turned off and earth yourself by rubbing the side of the psu. Then Unplug all the cards and power cables and data cables from the mobo taking note where they all connect and if you can use compressed air to blow gently all the connection points if not inspect them for dust etc. and clean as best you can.

Plug everything back in one by one (I usually plug card in then take out again then plug it back in to make sure good contacts are made).

If its the bios maybe after these steps you could download the last stable Bios release for that mobo and flash it.

Ps. No one should ever use a vac to clean electronics as the vac creates static as the draw of air creates a vortex and we all know that static and pc`s don`t mix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds