word 2003 language DLL problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by drgrim, May 31, 2011.

1. drgrim

drgrim Private First Class

Hi. Recently I tried to open a word document that I had previously worked with and it wouldn't open. I tried another and the same thing happened. When I try to open it I get a box up saying "The visual basic environment could not be initialized" . When I click the OK button a second box appears with " The Language DLL VBE6INTL.DLL could not be found" . When I click OK the same 2 boxes keep appearing over and over until it wants to send an error report to Microsoft. I have googled the problem but can only find a similar thing to do with a Google tool bar which I don't have. My system is Win XP sp2 and Office 2003. I can take the files to another PC with the same operating system and same version of Office and they open just fine so the problem is definitely on my PC. I have tried uninstalling Office and reinstalling it but that didn't work. I have also tried downloading the missing DLL file and reinstalling that but that didn't work either. I have run all my antivirus scans and the system is clean. Anyone have any ideas????

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The computer is telling you that you need a Visual Basic v6 dll for the file to work.
    Go to the PC that the file will open on, search for "VBE6INTL.DLL" copy it to a USB stick (note the directory/path) that you copied it from. If it is in more than one location, write down ALL the locations.
    Put the USB stick in your computer and copy the file to the location or locations it is supposed to be in.

On my XP SP3, which you should have installed because MS stopped supporting SP2,
    I have the file at
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\1033
    and I also have one at a patch location.

3. drgrim

Well I tried that but still the same problem. I made sure that the file path was correct etc. The file was missing from that folder but pasting it in didnt make any difference.

4. drgrim

can anyone please help with this?? The only other thing I can think of to do it to do a complete clean reinstall of the operating system and office and see if that fixes it but thats really a last resort.:confused

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Depending on where you put the .dll, try the following from a command prompt:

regsvr32 c:\path to the file\vbe6int.dll

example

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbe6int.dll

6. drgrim

ok. it didnt work. what happened was a window with the title regsvr32 popped up and said "LoadLibrary("c:\program") failed - the specified module could not be found".

the file path where vbe6intl.dll is c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\VBA\VBA6\1033\vbe6intl.dll

Any more ideas???? This is driving us nuts as we do a lot of volunteer work for the local tourist info center and we cant open any word documents that we regularly use for the accounting.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  7. drgrim

As its looking like no one is going to be able to offer anymore help with this problem I gather Im going to have to do a complete reinstall of the operating system and see if that solves it???

8. drgrim

OK. I solved the problem!! It turned out that Online armor was blocking the DLL file all along! I was looking there for something else and saw the dll being blocked so I unblocked it and everything works just fine!:):major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds