Word 97 reinstall htmlmarq.ocx won't register

Discussion in 'Software' started by LindaJH, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LindaJH

LindaJH Private E-2

After a "scrub the disk" reinstall I've run into a problem with Word 97 (yes I know it's old but I use it for html). When trying to install the html portion of Word 97 I'm getting an error message that htmlmarq.ocx can't be registered. I have a backup of my registry made before the cleanup and I can find it in that registry. Word97 was originally installed under W98 and I upgraded to XP later. With this install I loaded 98, upgraded to XP and then installed all my software. I went to MS's site and tried to download the patches for html but that file won't install either - for the same problem.I really, really do not want to have to start from a clean disk and do all of this again. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Linda

2. LindaJH

LindaJH Private E-2

I found the fix. According to the poster this may not work for everyone. But it worked fine for me. After making the below change in the registry I re-ran the Office 97 install and it worked like a charm.

Open regedit and browse to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File
    Execution Options

You should see htmlmarq.ocx and htmlmm.ocx separate keys. Rename them to
    something else, ie. htmlmarq.tmp and htmlmm.tmp.

Linda

3. Chris Toms

Chris Toms Private E-2

Thanks for this Linda, it worked fine for me

Chris
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds