Word 97 & Win7 Control Wind Crashes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Carolbpeter, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I am about nuts on this. I think it's related to an update Windows did on my computer - but I haven't been able to figure out. Briefly, I have a laptop with Windows 7. I installed Office 2007, and it did work for a bit. Now, it freezes/crashes on the splash screen. I can not open it in Safe Mode, unless I also have windows in safe mode. I have tried:
    *Uninstall/Reinstall
    *Deleting temp files
    *Deleting HOTKEY... DATA from registry
    *Running a virus scan (McAfee)
    *Checking and turning on Bluetooth
    *Restore back to a point (haven't found the date yet - will continue)
    *Used MS's Mr. Fixit
    *Ran MS Office Professional Repair

I made sure I was signed on as administrator and had administrative rights. I did have it working one day, but when I went to re-boot two days ago, we were right back where I started, so now I turned off automatic updates.

Additionally, I'm not sure if these two are related, but they started at the same time and I'm not sure if they're related. I am unable to open the Control Panel for Printers. One of the fix/solutions for Word is reinstalling a printer - but I am unable to do that. I have tried many solutions for this as well - and on the same day I got Word working, I was able to add my 8600 wireless. But now it isn't working again either. The printer is connected to my home network through the wireless router.

Any ideas would surely be appreciated. I had to wipe the computer and start over, but if I must, I must. I'm just not sure if that's the answer either, and I'd hate to go through all this for nothing.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Your thread title refers to Word 97 but your post refers to Office 2007. Can you clarify just what you do have?

3. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I installed Office Pro 2007, which includes Word, on my Windows 7 laptop. Word started freezing on the splash screen in October, then I noticed the control/printer/device window also was not opening. I believe I've had it working twice, but once I shut down the laptop and then restarted it the next day, I was right back at the beginning. I have gone through all the steps I listed at least twice. Some several times. I have no idea how I got it working. The other programs in office work, as far as I can tell. It's just word and the windows control panel. They seem related, but I don't know. If it's a printer issue, I can't seem to fix it.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Is there anything in the Event Viewer (Applications) that would indicate what's wrong?

5. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

On October 16 6pm, I used Word and it opened normally:
    ID: 0, Application Name: Microsoft Office Word, Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session lasted 6327 seconds with 1200 seconds of active time. This session ended normally.

Word stopped working shortly after that - and the laptop had to have the screen replaced. I used it again on Feb 16, and it crashed:
    ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session was terminated unexpectedly.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Outlook appears to be the problem on Feb. 16th. See if it can be repaired
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924611

Note, I have NEVER used Outlook nor even OE so I can't begin to help you troubleshoot that. Try the steps in the MS article and if you still have problems, repost and someone who is familiar with the software might jump in.

7. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I have tried every "answer" I could find, including those at MS - they are listed below. I am at the point where I will have to restore Windows 7 and start completely over. Which, I would have done - but I don't have all the software CDs, which for Creative Suite is a big deal, and I use it a lot. So, I'd rather figure out what is wrong and fix it.

8. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Oh - one other thing. I can open Word 2007 in safe mode, ONLY if Windows is also in safe mode. I can not open Word in safe mode otherwise.

9. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

The oldest restore point I could do was Feb 17, 2013. I restored back to that point which would have almost gotten me to the 16th when I know Word opened with no problems. That did not work. So, I gave up the ghost and went ahead and re-installed all the "critical" updates that windows had downloaded (27?). I am still nowhere, and windows explorer locks up when I attempt to go Control Panel\HardwareandSound\DevicesandPrinters\.

So, I think that perhaps windows 7 has a problem with wireless HP printers? I have attempted to install the printer using a USB cord, but that doesn't seem to be working either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds