Word crashes when renaming file

Discussion in 'Software' started by rb3bm4, Dec 6, 2009.

1. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

I'm using an IBM ThinkPad with Windows Vista Business. Problem is with Word 2007 crashing. When I go to open, highlight a file, and right-click it to rename, Word crashes. The Word diagnostics does not identify a problem and all the Windows updates are current. It happened out of the blue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, RB

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Maybe just a little bit buggy have you ran any type of scans i:e anti-virus or malware just to give it a quick check ! ;)

3. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

Have run scans. Have the Norton package installed. Just ran CCleaner and SypBot. Things seem to be fine.
    RB

4. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

When did this start happening? We've had a few MS Office updates recently. Did this problem start right after any one of those updates? If so, you might be able to troubleshoot the updates on Windows Updates. And of course, there's always System Restore. . .

5. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

It started happening yesterday. Not sure if it correlates with office updates or not.

6. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

I just tried Excel and had the same problem. When I go to Open and right-click on a file, the program crashes. So both Word and excel affected.

7. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

Any help out there? Or should i consider this thread dead?
    RB

8. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

Does it do the same for any other actions, i.e. deleting, copying, etc? It may be something to do with Disk Usage (where you interact with data)

If so, is it due to overloaded memory? If you have truckloads of installed programs or applications taking up RAM then the disk is probably seriously busy. Check that you don't have any useless programs or anything, and monitor your CPU.

Microsoft programs have a tendency to take up trainloads of memory with processes such as msmpeng.exe.

And yes, there are loads of updates now, maybe the space taken by these files could have contributed.

9. rb3bm4

rb3bm4 Private E-2

Interesting. I'll check it out. My hard drive is about 80% full. On the other, hand every other function seems work. As best I can determine, it's only right clicking on a file which causes the crash. I'm inclined to think it's something else. Could this be virus related somehow?
    RB

10. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

I don't think so... but try scanning it with MalwareBytes AntiMalware and post the logs for a mod or someone to see.

If there aren't any viruses, it probably is a memory/disk problem. Uninstalling useless junk and freeing space with defragmenter, and other cleaning utensils may help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds