Word Document Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by tblue, May 19, 2006.

1. tblue

tblue Corporal

Hey All,

I have my reusme as a Word document. I sometimes get responses from potential employers that they are unable to open it. :confused: Does anyone have any ideas as to why that may be? I send it to myself or to my current work email and it opens with no problems:mad:
    Any help would be appreciated.

T.Blue

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2006
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Opened fine for me .....might be that they want it in a different format .... save it as a pdf and whatever other format you think they might be asking for it in ...

3. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Did not do well for me:

Attached Files:

4. TimW

@Toni_1947 I'm using word 2000 pro, which version are you using that it didn't open in?

5. Toni_1947

I use Word in Office 2003

:)

6. TimW

Hang on ...let me try with daughter's puter ...think she's running 2003 ...

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>>I have my reusme as a Word document. I sometimes get responses from potential employers that they are unable to open it. Does anyone have any ideas as to why that may be? I send it to myself or to my current work email and it opens with no problems. Any help would be appreciated. << TimW

Hi T.Blue...

I believe that I may have identified [at least] a 'possible' origin of your problem: I am currently using Office 2003. After downloading the attachment of your TommyBlueResume2.doc - I tried to open the document and received the following error message:

Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt.
    Try one or more of the following:
    * Open and Repair the file.
    * Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
    (C:\Documents and Settings\...\test.doc)

See: MSKB Article ID: 889409
    You receive a "Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt" error message when you open a document in Word 2003

According to Microsoft: "This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2. To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. After you install the service pack, follow the steps that are listed in the "More Information" section of the article to set the BulletProofOnCorruption registry key and to activate the hotfix."

I already have the latest service pack for Office 2003 installed; however I was not aware of the fact that I had to "Use the Registry Editor to enable this hotfix" as stated in the MSKB Article ID: 889409

I'm not exactly sure this was the 'employers' problem; however I’m guessing that the employers who "were unable to open it" were also using Office 2003 and experienced the same difficulty that I had trying to open this attachment of your TommyBlueResume2.doc.

In other words, this is more than likely not a problem on YOUR end. Although I do not have any specific answer how you can fix this problem [on your end]; I hope this additional info is helpful to you.

Good Luck!

8. TimW

Took me a while .... had to wade through the garbage (teenagers!!!!), but it opened fine on hers running 2003 student edition. Stranger and stranger.

9. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Private E-2

The document opens fine in wordpad but not in Word2003/SP2. Puzzling to say the least. :confused:

10. Toni_1947

BINGO!
    I applied the regedit as per the info in COMPUABLE's post and here it is:
    Pic didn't take....rats!

11. Toni_1947

try again!

Attached Files:

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

Opens just like yours with Office 12. :)

13. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Private E-2

Works fine with that hotfix enabled. :)

14. tblue

tblue Corporal

Good Morning All,
    I appreciate all the help.:) I saved it as a pdf file and sent it again to the person who told me they couldn't open it. It's aggravating to think of the number of employers who probably just deleted it when they couldn't open it:mad: but from now on I'll just send it as the pdf file.
    Thanks again,
    T.Blue

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds