Wordpad empties document

Discussion in 'Software' started by SalsaShark, Aug 18, 2004.

1. SalsaShark

SalsaShark Private E-2

I was writing an important document that I have been working on for a long time in Wordpad and there was some sudden problem with the computer so I had to shut it down. When I tried to reopen it, it listed it as 0KB and completely empty.

Can someone please help me? I haven't saved anything to the file since, and it's still listed as 0kb.. and I don't have a back-up unfortunately.

2. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

With wordpad it has no autosave, you should try an office suite such as MS, or get the free and excellent openoffice.

try running a checkdisk, and if it repairs any files, look in the root of the C:\ Drive for any *CHK files, open them, one *might* be your missing document. I doubt it however.

Next time SAVE SAVE SAVE :)

3. SalsaShark

SalsaShark Private E-2

So, there's no way around it, no way I can recover it?

sigh I've been working on this for a long while...

One thing I noted: I save a regular document completely empty and it still registers as 1KB. The empty document is 0KB.

4. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

oh salsa. that was a really depressing answer. my heart bleeds for you. i too (as you may of guessed) have lost stuff on computers. i don't know anything, but i think it has to be 'in there' some where. lol. i will keep my fingers crossed for you. aloha

5. SalsaShark

SalsaShark Private E-2

Thank you very much for the reply, LaurieB, because you feel sort of better when someone's gone through the same thing. I've been having a stream of computer problems....

To be honest, when I first realized it was gone, I felt like crying because it was irretrievable.... the titles still there but everything it is gone. So it won't come back, but sigh i can't really do anything, I guess.

6. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

Did you try checkdisk?

Also it might be worth looking in the windows temp direcetory and your profiles temp directory, it may be there with an obscure name, and a .tmp extension.

Not likely with wordpad though im afraid

7. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i know this might sound daft, but have you tried 'search'. ?

8. SalsaShark

SalsaShark Private E-2

No, no, what happened is that the document is still there, literally. The document is there, with its title and last updated mark, I think. When you open it, it's empty. Not one line was still there. I didn't empty it myself, as in cutting in, it just emptied itself.

And thank you, Nirvana_CN, for all the help, it's really appreciated. How do you operate CheckDisk?

I couldn't find anything in the TMP directory, either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds