WordPerfect Office 2000 ----> Microsoft Works 9

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I have installed Microsoft Works 9.

Problem is, I have documents in WordPerfect9 and Quattro Pro9 (from Perfect Office 2000), plus some documents in Open Office.org in both word processing and spreadsheet. I believe I may still have some documents in WordPad as well. Yah, I'm a mess, lol.

Is there an easy click of a button, to have all my files from all these different programs, transferred smoothly over into my new Microsoft Works 9 wordprocessing and speadsheet programs?

Thanks
    :banghead

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

You could change the file associations if your converter is able enough.
    I know Works has converters, did you open all the file types in works and see if formatting is retained before you change anything?

ie open a WordPerfect Letter note file extension, open a Works Letter note file extension (sry I don't know the extensions) then locate WP file in explorer and rename the WordPerfect letter "......1."works extension" try to open, see if Works opens and retains formating, repeat with all program/file types.

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thank you for your suggestion!
    I'll give this a try.
    :)

4. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I opened the WordProcesser in Microsoft Works9, and none of my documents will appear when I browse for them, I get a blank screen, where normally I would just click on the file to open it.

If I understand correctly,

From WordPerfect Office 2000
    WordPerfect9 document extension is .wpd

From Microsoft Works9
    Works Docment extension is .wps

Will I have to retype all my files again?
    Or maybe I can use copy and paste?

I'm really confused.

5. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!
    I decided to save all my documents to a DVD disk, it needed to be updated anyways, and now the documents on the computer I can play around without worries of destroying them.
    :D

6. Cat_w_9_lives

Ok I can see why you'er confused, I'm not the best instructor.

I'm assuming you keep your files in My Documents, so go to the Renamed document via Start >My Documents
    - or just click on My Documents however you normally do so. It should show the renamed file there.

ie prior post you took
    letter.wpd (wordperfect)
    renamed it: letter1.wps (works)

Now try to open the letter1.wps via My Documents

Don't open Works, your testing one document to see if Works will open the renamed file w/o a problem and retain the formating. Just click on the renamed file in My Documents and see if Works will open it and if so what it looks like, might be gibberish.

I can do this back n forth with a number of programs but the converter has to be able to do so. Sorry I can't test for you my word-processing programs are all MS, so they will convert easy.

Please don't start cutting and pasting, just test one document, you don't know if it will work.

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I tried, and it says that either the document is in use, corrupted, or converting is not supported.
    Nuts.

Oh well, thanks, I guess I'll copy and paste what I can, the rest I'll have to re-create.

8. Cat_w_9_lives

You could look in updates/downloads for Works at MS and see if they have a newer converter listed. Know Word has more converters than Works, but its worth a shot. Did you have Works and WordPerfect document closed before you tried opening via My Documents?

9. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Yes, I had both programs closed.
    I was able to copy and paste some old documents into the new program, but as for the rest of it, I may have to re-create them. It's getting a bit confusing for me, lol.
    Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

10. Cat_w_9_lives

Sorry that it did not work, but maybe cutting and pasting is easier in the end.

11. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!

I was able to copy and paste quite a few documents, whew! I noticed that the text (eventhough it was the same font and size) took up more room in the Microsoft Works 9 Word Processor, than it did in the WordPerfect Office 2000 Word Processor.

A couple of the older Quattro Pro9 documents didn't copy and paste so good into the newer one, so looks like I may have to keep the old programs on the computer for a bit until I can figure out how the heck I created them in the first place, lol. It was largely a learning experience as I go, both then and now.

Although I had a couple setbacks, overall everything went smoothly, better than I had expected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds