works to word converter problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by gracie312, Nov 15, 2007.

1. gracie312

gracie312 Private First Class

I recently took Works 6.0 off my pc because I also have Word 2002 and didn't think I needed both. Unfortunately, now I can't open any works documents in Word. I have all the converters from 332-632 but Word says it cannot open the converters. Also tried changing the file extensions, but that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? Can someone help please? There is a very important doc. I need to access.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

As confirmed by http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP011881161033.aspx, Word absolutely does open Works .wps files. When you opened Word and went to the Open panel, did you use the drop-down arrow next to Files of Type: and select Works 6.0 & 7.0 (*.wps) file type?

What are converters from 332-632?

Nope, that won't work. You can't change the type of file by merely changing the filename extension. Did you change the file extensions back to the original extension? If not, you should do that.

4. gracie312

Thanks for your reply Steve. I used both links and neither worked. Here is the error message I'm getting.... first one says....."Word cannot start the converter Works332.cnv, and the file conversion page comes up with a text preview that looks like little boxes and lots of y's with a line over them. Second error message says..."Microsoft Word needs a converter to display this file correctly. This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it?" if I click yes, I get this message..."The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the install package PROPLUS.MSI". I went to the Microsoft page and downloaded all the converters it asked for, installed them and it still won't open the page. When I checked the properties for the doc, it says "opens with WORD", but it will not open. Any other suggestions? This is driving me crazy!!!!!!

5. gracie312

Thanks anyway.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Run the Detect and Repair command on the Help menu of Word. See if that helps.

Steve.

7. gracie312

That doesn't work either. I'm running Windows XP Professional with Front Page (the CD was given to me) if that helps at all. Also, I just did a search for the "PROPLUS.MSI" file that it keeps trying to access thinking I could access it manually but got no results.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Go to the link below and scroll down to #171 on the right-hand side (Office XP Error 1706 - ProPlus.Msi Fix - O2K). Click on the Office XP Error 1706 - ProPlus.Msi Fix and run it. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If that doesn't fix it. See if you have the options available below in Office XP.

Steve

9. gracie312

Steve;
    The error 1706 didn't fix the problem. I do have the option to repair, but it says "Restore your Microsoft Office XP to it's original state." What effect will this have? Will I lose anything important???

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I don't know. :)

One thing you might consider just to access those files is System Restore. You could try going back to the day before you removed Works and see if that will do it. It's not going to solve this issue but might let you get to the files you want to open using Works.

1. Click Start.

2. Point to All Programs.

3. Point to Accessories.

4. Point to System Tools.

5. Click System Restore.

6. Follow the instructions on the wizard. (You just want to restore your computer to an earlier date).

Steve

11. gracie312

If I restore my pc to an earlier date (approx. 3 months ago) won't I lose everything I've done on it since then? Not just documents but Quicken files and other financial data? This document isn't really worth that.

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Yeah, I didn't realize it had been that long since you removed Works. Better hold off and wait on some other ideas/suggestions.

Steve

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

NO that option will just restore Office back to its default state, but will all things do backup all your docs to CD or USB, but it shoulf not affect any documents just the original office program.

If you just have a few docs to convert to MS word format, and they are not sensitive data, I will be willing to convert them from Works to Word for you, I run Office 2007 and it converts Works files fine... just PM me and I will give you my personal email address.

14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Thank's Halo. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds