Worlds most unhelpful error message (Maxthon/IE)

Discussion in 'Software' started by matt.chugg, Sep 4, 2006.

1. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I think Maxthons done something funny to IE:

Attached Files:

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I think Maxthons done something funny to IE matt.chugg <<

Hi Matt... Is this the latest Maxthon "public preview" version that's giving you the trouble here?

The reason that I ask is because when I installed the Maxthon 2.0.0.7507 Public Preview; I first uninstalled the previous "beta" release candidate and even though I installed the "English" version correctly, all of the characters and fonts, etc. were like this [00 00000 0000 0000]. The only way I could get it to install properly, was to do a System Restore and then install 2.0.0.7507 "over the top" of the previous "beta" release.

I was actually eagerly awaiting the "Maxthon 2.0 Public Preview" because I'm currently a huge fan of Maxthon original version and always liked MyIE2 as well. However I must admit that I'm; well... pretty bit disappointed overall with both the beta releases as well as the "public" preview on the new 2.0. Newer versions of software products are supposed to have far more features or at least a few more great or outstanding new features.

Not so with the new Maxthon version...

After I downloaded the public preview (and finally got it to install properly - in English) about the only thing I saw that had dramatically changed - not necessarily for the better - was the 2.0 interface. The standard toolbar buttons are unnecessarily large and there is no way to change this. The Maxthon 2.0 Options area is very clunky, difficult to navigate and offers fewer options than the old version – I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 fewer, actually.

After that bit of news regarding this "new and unproven" version; I decided to visit the official Maxthon plug-in pages and the "news" there was pretty dim as well. I saw page after page of plugins that stated "Does not work with 2.0." After about 20 minutes of frustration; I stopped looking. I mean if they are going to make this MAXTHON an entirely new product which is not backwards-compatible at all; then they should give it a new name as well. In this case something like "The Don't Bother Downloading This Crappy Version" browser would be far more appropriate, IMO! <lol>

On top of all of this the Ad Hunter button is still sitting there but the plug-in appears to operate in a far less functional way than version 1xx. Using both Maxthon versions; I did a side-by-side comparison test of several websites that I regularly visit and the ads were rarely blocked using 2.0; where the 1xx Maxthon browser caught the ads every time!

While the new version certainly "looks different" the "new features" appear to be minimal and are nothing to write home about. In fact, the new version actually has far fewer features that the old one; especially when you consider the utter lack of any backward compatibility with regard to the inability to use just about all of all of the Maxthon 1xx plugins for 2.0.

There's absolutely nothing that "stands out" in v2.0 and there's certainly nothing "new" that would cause me to consider tossing the old version; at least at this point in time. I hope (well, I'm sure based on the company's past) that this version improves as time goes on, and I'll certainly keep checking the unofficial forum to see how the progress fares. But for now, I'll be sticking with the earlier version.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  3. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

its 1.5.6 which I think is the latest.

I don't think the error should look like that it looks more like theres a rendering problem with it.

The problem I think is the way Maxthon 'interlinks' with IE, I've noticed that if I open IE with maxthon open IE sometimes freezes. When it gets to my home page (google) and I type in a new url and hit enter it freezes again (for upto 3 minutes) then Maxthon opens the URL in a new tab and closes the IE window. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour or some issue with the settings for my default program for opening web pages. but its annoying as I often use IE windows next to maxthon for CSS compatability testing.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or some issue with the settings for my default program for opening web pages. but its annoying as I often use IE windows next to Maxthon for CSS compatibility testing <<

I use Maxthon v1.5.2 build 21 (my favorite non-buggy version) but have thoroughly tested all versions since build 21 was released: v1.5.6 build 42 | v1.5.6 build 39 | v1.5.3 build 18 | on my special "software testing" computer.

In my view, all of the above (after v1.5.2 build 21) caused several irritating bugs that were never properly rectified and I've never had a single problem with v1.5.2 build 21. Therefore, my advice would be to try installing this one from this Maxthon webpage; and see if you can repeat the error that you're having with 1.5.6.

Well actually, I almost forgot that there is one small bug that I very rarely experience in that version; in that for no apparent reason, the Ad-Hunter will turn off and I then have to simply re-enable it. The last time this happened (that I can remember) was about 6 or 7 months ago.

I generally only use IE (specifically) to update Microsoft every morning after the computer fires up. I stopped using "Automatic Updates" when MS decided to make the "optional" WGA spyware an "urgent" and automatic download. I guess it is not considered by some to actually be spyware.

However anything at all that "gets out" via my broadband internet connection; which I have no control over and have not specifically allowed, I consider spyware (or at least nucienceware). In any case, these days - after that incident - I prefer to read more about the Microsoft updates prior to downloading them and use IE6 solely for this chore.

Additionally I just thought of this possible "work-around" for your problem here: Did you know that Maxthon can be used as several entirely different "open browsers?" In other words, there is no need to ever open IE as well as Maxthon at the same time, if you do not want to...

Try this:
    Go to Options => Maxthon Options => Uncheck the "Allow only one instance of Maxthon" option (which is conveniently located under the "General" tab on that first page). Now you can use Maxthon instead of using IE6 as a "second" entirely different opened browser.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  5. star17

star17 MajorGeek

You guys broke the terms of agreement, #3 clearly states "you will not complain". ;)

[​IMG]

It's a preview version, not even an Alpha or Beta, so it's likely not ready for prime-time yet. Box versions of Firefox and Opera were just as adventurous.

The bug list is extensive, but they seem to be on top of it.
    http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?showtopic=45529

Jeez, I hate to link to another forum, but it seems to be all the rage... ;)

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I wasn't complaining lol, I was just pointing out the lack of clarity in the error message! At no point did I say or imply that Maxthon causing IE to freeze and act irationally was a BAD thing.

Would be nice if it didn't but I just need to remember not to use IE while maxthon is open lol.

This is somewhat irelevant as I need to use IE and specifically IE as a second browser, there would be little point even attempting to debug an ASP.net application from Visual Studio using anything but IE, and comparing CSS compatibility between 2 instances of the same browser would be somewhat silly ;)

PS I won't not complain again... ;)

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> You guys broke the terms of agreement, #3 clearly states "you will not complain" <<

LMAO star! - This "terms of agreement" reminds me of when back in 2002 the State of New York filed suit against "Network Associates" over McAfee's outrageous and pompous EULA terms forbidding all users (including journalists) to publicly "speak ill" of the company's security and anti-virus products, further stating in the program installation's EULA that says that customers "shall not disclose any benchmarking tests or publish reviews of products without Network Associates' consent."

I actually always liked using the older MyIE2 as well as Maxthon 1.0 a lot and sang their praises all over the web - even as it was considered by many just an add-on or "shell" browser to Internet Explorer.

But I just can't believe what a total piece of junk this new Maxthon 2.0 version is in comparison to the older version! Additionally, using this misleading term "public preview release" when the program performs so terribly was a huge mistake in my opinion.

Here are a few detailed er... (dare I state "complaints" publicly?). Well, let's just call them suggestions to those considering downloading and testing this turkey...

(1) Be sure to check your Add/Remove if you decide to actually install this 2.0 turkey. It is a whopping 5 TIMES larger than the old Maxthon version is and has far less functionality than the old version.
    (2) Version 2.0 is about 10 times slower to reach sites than the old version and I use Broadband!
    (3) There's little or no backward-compatibility. Almost none of the old version's plugins work at all; and there are few new plugins.
    (4) Ad-Hunter has been all but neutered. Immediately after you install 2.0 be sure to wish a hearty "Welcome Back" to all of the pop-ups as well!
    (5) The 2.0 options section looks like it was designed by a high school kid and has WAY less functions than 1.0

Note: Should the bozos who developed 2.0 remove my account, it will be no great loss; as the Maxthon 2.0 author seems to be taking his cues from Microsoft, regarding Internet software development:
    "Be Sure to Make it Less Configurable, Slower and Unnecessarily Bigger – Not Better!" <g>

Good Luck!

8. star17

star17 MajorGeek

I don't think the folks that wrote Maxthon2 are bozos; I doubt you or me could get this far developing a browser. Being a Public Preview, it's in a developmental phase, as with everything else tweaking and streamlining happen in due process. Public previews of software usually end up with this type of criticism, which is kind of sad as the previews are offered to help the developers improve the program. No wonder it's offered by invitation only.

And as far as I know, the writers of Maxthon were the only ones with an IE-engined skin that actually rewrote some of the IE code, with MS' blessing, to offset some holes in IE.

Let's wait for the initial version, even a Beta, to be released before passing judgement on something that has been extremely popular and reliable for some time. That would be the fair thing to do.

9. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Public previews of software usually end up with this type of criticism, which is kind of sad as the previews are offered to help the developers improve the program. No wonder it's offered by invitation only. <<

Regarding "complaints" that I dared post <g>, I calls 'em like I sees 'em, Star. Should this bloated and buggy release improve in future versions, I'll be the first to post that as well. I hope this is the case (well, I'm sure based on the company's past) that this version improves as time goes on, and I'll certainly keep checking the Maxthon forum to see how the progress fares. But for now, I'll be sticking with the earlier version.

I actually believe Rule 3 about "no criticizing allowed" in the Maxthon "terms and conditions" was put there as tongue in cheek. However if they are actually serious it is entirely ridiculous and totalitarian to insist that people do not criticize the new version as a condition of downloading and installing this browser. After all, even though the developer is from there, this is not China.

Additionally, about your "invitation only" comment; several freeware sites (as well as Maxthon's own site) now list this version for download and the Maxthon 2.0 Public Preview has been available without any “invitation” necessary since August 2006, although potential users still must create a “Maxthon Passport” before the preview can be successfully downloaded and used. The latest preview version (2.0.0.7507) was released on Sept. 1, 2006.

The Maxthon 2.0 alpha candidate was released "by invite only" earlier this summer and the beta version of Maxthon 2.0 was released shortly after that. Both of these were by invitation only and were very clearly labeled as "testing only" release candidates; which was appropriate. I know, because I actually tested them both. There was never any question or doubt that these versions were for testing use only.

I have also seen the few sites which currently list Maxthon 2.0 as a download (including our own MajorGeeks) wherein it is not at all clear that this is actually a “testing” release candidate version. Freewarefiles.com goes way over the top in this case, and describes the features as "MyIE2 does this, MyIE2 does that!" all the while, never actually revealing the fact that this is a testing release candidate version, prone to all of the bugs and problems that accompany program testing and development.

While labeling them "Bozos" was out of line, I still believe the wording of "public preview version" was a very bad idea, since it is very distorted and misleading; especially to those who are trying this browser for the first time. I've visited their forum many times and the admins there appear to go way out of their way not to use the terms "pre-alpha" "alpha" or even beta.

Good Luck!

10. star17

star17 MajorGeek

You know something, you take this message board business way too seriously. I didn't just fall off the banana truck yesterday; I'd appreciate it if you didn't respond to me like you think I did.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds