Worst Paid-For Virus Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by basspunk14, Sep 3, 2006.

1. basspunk14

basspunk14 Private E-2

recently assuming that it would be better because i had to pay money for it, i got Norton Security Center. I found the whole package slowed my PC down immensely, aswell as the virus scanner not finding viruses that freely available software did!

Has anyone else had any bad experiences with paid-for software?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Far too many posts to qoute any ....that's one of the reasons MG's has the NOrton uninstall tool!!

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

If you just recently paid for it i would ask for a refund, NOrton has to be at the top of the list. ed

4. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Norton is terrible!! I wonder why so many people keep using it...

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Worst Paid-For Virus Software <<

McCrappy, er... I mean McAfee and Norton/Symantec are probably tied as the worst offenders in this category IMO, especially when you consider how the developers of these products seem to be directed to "purposely" make them so difficult to entirely uninstall.

There are absolutely no “reasonable” grounds for this type of behavior, especially when you consider the fact that Symantec customers make so much money for that company. The only software company listed higher (year after year) than Symantec on the Fortune 500 is Microsoft.

I also wonder with all of these “virus” threats reported out here that keep McAfee and Norton/Symantec fat and getting fatter, why these companies can never seem to devise some method to “trace” the source of such threats back to any individual hacker.

With 100’s of possible threats sometimes reported monthly; you’d think they could catch at least catch a few of these viral websites as well as be capable of determining the actual "origins" of the viral e-mails that spread viruses, worms and other things.

I mean when was the last time you heard: “Major Hackers Exposed and Prosecuted” on the news? Then again, why “should” they do this? - If all of the hackers were exposed and then rounded up; McAfee and Norton/ Symantec would both go broke.

Good Luck

6. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

yea another norton publicity victim here... ( if you gotta pay for it it must be better right?) wrong........ it slowed my pc down to a crawl for one thing. i got rid of it with 7 months of my subscription still to run. wots that saying? all that glitters aint gold..........

7. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

yes i have awful experiences with most paid anti-virus software, norton was by far the worst, mcaffee comes at a dangerously close contender for the worst AV software i've ever encountered. the only one i use now, nod32, is paid for but it is so effective and you can't even tell it's running. even on this almost obsolete computer i'm on: intel celeron 800mhz, 256mb sdram, onboard graphics and sound.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

McAfee Enterprise is fine as it doesnt come with any of the addons like AntiSpyware, Firewall, AntiSpam etc, its just a AV and when I had it installed I suffered no slowdowns or malware, sadly I had to uninstall as I left the company that gave it to me, so now on Avast free at home, its ok too, NO malware so keeps me happy.

Retail bundled multi packs are a different story, tending to do too much, with too many running services, while they may run ok for some, others have massive issues.

9. knight17

knight17 Private E-2

I hate Symantec's malware solutions,All of us install anti-* softwares on our systems for keeping it in good health but if you install Norton your system will crawl,boot up time will shoot up,it is one of the worst peice of software I have used(extensively) in my life.

I do like Kaspesky Antivirus now and it is a really good one,You don't need to pay anything if you use the antivirus you download from AOL(It is using Kaspersky's engine).

If you don't mind bad GUI I will reccomend NOD32 it has got a really complex(and working) heuristics scanning engine,my next try is that.

10. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

:When I got this pc I paid 30 bucks for Nortons AV, after 2 days of using my pc with Norton it got really sluggish and my boot times went from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. So MG's handy Norton Removal Tool revived my pc. Then I got Avast, and my pc is working like a dream, if only it wasnt for this hard drive failure :rolleyes:

11. killian_sh

killian_sh Private E-2

Norton's wasn't too bad on my system until my subscription ran out and I wanted to try something different.I spent hours trying to remove it with the removal tool and through the registry.There are still remnants somewhere that I can't find because Windows Security Center still recognizes it.I've since downloaded Avast and haven't noticed any conflicts.Hopefully my system will be O.K. [​IMG]

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds