Worth upgrading or buying new?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grunty, Sep 26, 2010.

1. grunty

grunty Private E-2

Hi i have a relatively old PC of about 2 years that my brother gave me after he got a new pc:

790i ultra
    E8500
    GTX 280 X2
    2 GB 1333 RAM
    Max resolution i can play on is 1920 X 1080

I was planning of buying new RAM but im not sure if its worth upgrading this or just waiting and buying a complete new system.
    ive not really kept track of the all the new technologies, so if i bought 4G of RAM would this still be able to run the latest games at a steady 30 FPS or so?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Gawd man, your brother get a dual CPU SR-2?:eek Nice guy to give you that monster. There's not much to upgrade there, get a third GPU or a quad Q9650 and a 3rd stick of 1GB RAM. I would keep this until Intel gets to 8-cored machines as it will be different socket than the i7 currently has.

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I would recommend putting in either 1GB of RAM in 2 x 512MB modules or 2GB in 2 x 1GB modules. The use of paired modules allows the RAM to stay in dual-channel mode which speeds up performance.

If you want to increase performance graphics-wise I would recommend looking into SLI optimisation techniques if you haven't done so already.

4. TheRealGEEK

TheRealGEEK Private First Class

I wouldn't buy new. That rig can play just about any game. I would think about upgrading to at least 4gb of ram though. (which is about $75-$100 for DDR3 & DDR2)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds