Would a graphics card solve these annoying issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RockinRoll, Oct 11, 2009.

1. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

I've got a 1 year old computer in my bedroom and I picked this case because it was "silent." It is silent...when it's turned off. :) But when it's running it, somtimes, constantly kicks in a back-up fan that's really annoying because it winds up and down, up and down, etc. If it would just stay on it would even be okay.

I'm an artist/designer/inventor and I do some mechanical engineering. I tend to do a lot of research of How To-type information and download lots of pictures, videos and pdf's so I have Firefox open with a lot of tabs open. Often two windows of Firefox. And I have another browser (Green Browser) open mostly so I can check my two email accounts. But I've found some sites don't load in FF and they'll load in GB and vice versa.

I often have a graphics viewing program open (IrfanView) and VLC Media Player. The other program I always run is KeyNote (database) where I keep design ideas, links to materials suppliers, tips I get from Major Geeks, etc.

Per advice from Major Geeks I use Advanced System Care and Smart Defrag to try and keep things optimized.

The other issue is that FireFox starts getting dreadfully slow while the other programs are running quickly. Does anybody know how to resolve this issue? I clear the cache and cookies.

I'd like to get a TV card and record shows from cable. Also, I want to download videos and burn them to DVD.

I've thought about getting a new PC but can't afford it. And the systems I've found under $700.00 are pretty similar to what I've got.

Questions:

Would a graphics card solve the current issues since they seem to revolve around memory allocation?

Any suggestions reqarding the type of card and where to buy it? I never play video games, so that's not deciding factor.

Is my system powerful enough to run a TV Card/DVR?

Any suggestions reqarding the type of card and where to buy it?

Any other suggestions that might keep the back-up fan from screaming?

Thanks, much!

================================================
    If you need other info, please ask.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    System Manufacturer INTEL_
    System Model D945GCR_
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.08 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Display: Name Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

BTW- this board's max is 2GB.

2. tym

tym Corporal

First with the backup fan kicking on and off. There is a fairly easy work around for that, But bear with me for a min.

It sounds like you have heating issues. My guess would be the Fins on the Metal Block that sets on top of your CPU may need cleaned. You may also want to make sure that the fan Itself is clean.

Some will suggest air, Myself I dont believe in using air. It may just force dust and dirt further down the Fins. I suggest Take off the fan DONT UNPLUG THE FAN!! But make sure your computer is off, Use a old tooth brush and Clean out the fins, The fan itself should be held to the "Heat Sink" or Thats the metal Block with the fins that set on top of the CPU with 4 screws. I use paper to catch the dust and dirt, Like a dust pan. I suggest Not unpluging the Fan from the motherboard cause they sometimes can be a bother to get put back on right. You can look on you tube for Videos on how to do that as well. DONT REMOVE the heat sink from the CPU.

Now to your backup fan. I am Not sure wear it is located in your tower?? I can tell you what I do with the fan that blows air from the back of the computer. Well Look and see if it has small holes the air is to come through. Check them see if they are pluged up. Now What I do is go buy myself a 80 mm fan. They are only like 20 bucks. With a pair of tin snips I Cut a hole out so the fan fits and no more of thoes small holes the air comes through. Mount the fan and some 80mm fans will come with a guard that you can put in the back to keep stuff from getting in your fan, Or you could use Some heaveywire mesh screen and put back there. That REALLY increase air flow and will really pull the warm air out of your computer.

The third thing is your fan kicking off and on how many fans are in your computer?? You can get a can of air after you get the heat sink cleaned out and make sure you have all the dust and dirt out of your computer. Especially around the fan. See if that does not help Please let me know. Sorry this is so wordy, Any questions just ask. Have a nice day.

With firefox, Is it the browsing that is slow or does it seem to open slow? If its browsing slow, Then thats a whole diffrent set of problems. Can be fixed pretty easy, I just for now want to try to help you with the heat issues. Then once thats fixed then tackle the browsing problems. Hope thats ok. Just one problem at a time. But sounds like most the problems are a easy fix.

3. tym

tym Corporal

Ok part two here is how to remove the fan. I myself make sure the computer is off, Lay the computer on its side. When you remove and clean the fan Leave it plugged into the motherboard, set it out of your way gently.

Now you will see the top of your heatsink. Using a old toothbush clean the fins, use a peace of paper like a dust pan. DONT REMOVE THE HEAT SINK FROM THE CPU!!. Once you have the fins all cleaned out, the fan cleaned, put it all back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjToaUV5Tc&feature=fvw

See how that goes. You can also replace the fan from the back of your computer. First make sure if there are little holes the air comes through, make sure they are not plugged up with dust and dirt. If you can replace that fan with a nice 80 mm fan. They are cheap. 20 bucks at staples or local computer shop. WIth a pair of tin snips I make the hole. Mount the fan, and it really pulls the warm air from your computer. If thats something you may want to try, Just ask, Its simple, cheap easy to do I can walk ya through it. Really helps out TONS. Let me know if that helped or not.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I have to agree that the Fan is spinning up to cool things down.

Lets get some baseline data using EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 . Go to Computer>>>>Sensors, what are your CPU and system temps in here?

For Firefox here is an excellent guide for optimising:

In Depth: 100 tips to help you work smarter with Firefox.

Post back your temps and we can look further into it.

As far as whether a Graphics Card will help can't be defined yet as they can actually increase system temps.

5. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Thank you, both!!

Not sure where to start. As far as the fan locations and sizes: The one on the PCU is 80mm and has the X with concentric rings rather than holes to let air through. The fan in the back of the case measures 110mm and has the octagonal holes (5mm inside-to-inside) to let air out. Are those "small holes" per your description? Of course, there's the CPU fan. I'm pretty sure that the back-up fan is internal. Sorry, it's been a while since I've had the case off and I've got an external HDD, speaker and couple other things on top that make it a little difficult to get the case off quickly. But I will get to it.

This is actually the 2nd (different & supposedly better) case, Mobo, CPU, RAM. The first system's back-up fan cycling on/off was much worse as the mobo and/or ram was bad out of the box. Long story short, had to send it to Intel for testing/replacement. Obviously, the builder and I thought the "new" system (identical components) would solve the issue. But this system, even though all components tested fine, did/does the cycling out of the box, i.e. clean. Again, not nearly as bad.

That in mind, I will pull the case and clean as you've described.

BTW- my room temp hovers around 70-75°

I've tried a regular house fan blowing at the ducts on the front, obviously, without much success.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to Everest: when I fired it up I got this, "Warning: Computer seems to have 'Presler' CPU...Everest does not fully support your system."

This is all that posted from Computer>> Sensors:

Field Value
    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures
    Seagate ST3250620AS 41 °C (106 °F)

Can I get the temps you asked for another way?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"With firefox, Is it the browsing that is slow or does it seem to open slow?"

The previous version of FF took several minutes to load. The current version loads quickly. The slow down is while browsing and a reboot tends to fix the problem. During this slow time (I would describe it more like a crash with the ability shut FF off, because clicking a link simply causes the "loading" icon/graphic to spin, and typically the page never loads) the back-up fan is running at hyper speed. Simply exiting FF causes the fan to return to normal/near normal.

Hopefully, that's not TMI!

6. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Okay, I opened up the case and cleaned everything. It was actually quite clean. Mild dust only.

The case fan had a hanging wire with a switch on the end marked, "L-M-H" It was on M and I switched it to H. If you see a problem with that, please, let me know and I'll switch it back.

Some interesting stuff that wasn't on the other identical mobo, etc. The CPU fan is 80mm (I think. It's close anyway) and the heat sink is cylindrical, looks kinda like a radial engine.

And there's a heat sink like I've never seen before...on top of, uh, er. I don't know. The video chipset? It's cool-looking. It's got 270, uh, spires (about 1.5mm x 4mm) sticking out.

The case fan is 120mm and the fan out the back of the PSU is 80mm.

I think the offending fan is on the under side of the PSU.

Maybe the Low to High will help.

The other thing I was thinking. From your statement as far as fan size vs cooling I think they are sufficient as is. Yes/no? So, it's seems that an issue might be not enough air getting in. What do think about using a hole saw to cut a 4" hole in the side of the case towards the front? I would simply take the side panel off and drill it in the garage. I think I've got a fan grill out there.

I posted pics so, hopefully, you can verify that I'm measuring the fans properly. I got the angle off on the cpu pic but it's pretty close to 80mm if not exact.

Again, I really appreciate the help!

Attached Files:

7. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Update:

I found the manual for the case. It's an Antec Sonata II. There is a filter inside the front of the case, which, was really dirty. It's now clean.

The system is operating "normally," i.e. I just rebooted and the problem fan is lightly cycling on/off. So, I'll have to wait until I do some research to see if it gets worse.

I didn't find anything about the PSU. There's a switch on the back that says "Turbo."

There was something in the manual I didn't really understand about the 120mm and the rear PSU fan being normally off/in passive mode. Only cycling on when too hot. The PSU fan inside the case is always on. The manual says it's quieter that way.

I'm going to Google Antec Sonata II to see if I can find a way to cause the fan(s) to run like a normal case.

If either of you find something about this, please, let me know.

-

8. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

tym, Bold Eagle-

Did I say something wrong? I'm kind of dyslexic so I occasionaly jack-up reading (following directions) and writing and come across as sarcastic...it wasn't intentional. If I misread or miswrote something let me know, okay?

Anyway, the cleaning & the switch from M to H didn't fix the problem.

I didn't find anything about how to get the normally off fan to run like regular case fan and just stay on. Do either of you know how to find out how to do that, or have another suggestion?

What do you think about using a hole saw to cut a 4" hole in the side of the case towards the front to let more air in? I'd follow Antec's lead an make a similar filter for it.

Not sure where to go from here. Thanks for the input!

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You did nothing wrong at all, let's be really clear. I've been a bit busy and it's hot in Australia so a bit a off mental fatigue.

If you can I would try and make the Case Fan like the PSU Fan and leave it on all the time as this sounds like it could be the "cycling" up culprit.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay that is the stock Intel heatsink and it is like a radial heat dissipater the fan blows onto it as it "draws" heat up from the CPU and disperse the heat.

Just below that is a "passive" (non-active as no fan) HS for your North Bridge Chipset (basically a communication hub between your CPU to RAM and Video unit).

Here are some other temp monitoring apps and hopefully they will acknowledge your CPU and temp sensors:

http://majorgeeks.com/Real_Temp_d6098.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Core_Temp_d5665.html

But it sounds right that the Culprit is the rear 120mm Exhaust Fan and keeping this on high may make it less noticeable.

As for Firefox it seems you may be suffering what used to be called a memory leak, i.e. the longer it is left running the more Mem Usage it would take up from system resources, Windows Task Manager>>>Processes tab firefox.exe (used to happen to me). That is why once you re-start it it becomes fast and responsive again, it was a very common problem:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...m=20&q=Firefox+memory+leaks&btnG=Search&meta=

Try out those temp apps and see if you get anything.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

After careful consideration I don't think a Video Card will help because most of the older cards will contribute to overall system temps (environment) unless they have the big plastic body with inbuilt fan and are designed to exhaust out through any empty PCI back panel slot, e.g.

You can see from this card that it actually takes up two of the back panel slots and the plastic cooling unit sucks in from the white end and the fan exhausts it directly out the rear of the case through the grill plate (for lack of better words).

Attached Files:

12. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Thanks again, Bold Eagle...I really appreciate the analysis!!

By the way, I installed both of the temp programs and neither supports this processor. I'll go to Intel's site and see if I can find something about getting temps from this processor.

13. tym

tym Corporal

Did you try core temp? Did you have any luck with that? You can get and adapter That turns one fan plug in into two plug ins. I would Plug the rear fan, If thats the one that will not run full blast all the time, Into the the same spot your other fan runs. Bold Eagle may be able to better explain that one.

You take the fan that runs all the time, Plug it into the adapter I suggested, Take the other fan that is not running all the time and plug it into the same adapter and plug it back into the harness like the old one was.

Let Bold Eagle read this Idea and make sure it seems o.k. He seems to know more about your setup than I do. No Offense I am not a Intel Fan. Not sure if replacing the CPU fan would help and or a good Idea. Thats just about all I can offer advice wise. Hopefully Bold Eagle or someone else will have more or better Ideas.

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Is the Fan issue still persisting?

It seems you have one of the first Pentium D Extreme Editions and it is hard to find a monitoring app for it at the moment so you may have to check via BIOS, under Hardware Monitoring.

With Firefox I would explore memory leak articles (especially those dated 2009) and see if you can find several that are suggesting the same method, i.e. a common theme.

Your Intel HS looks a bit dirty and you may want to consider giving that a bit of a clean. Post back if your interested in that option.

This guy is one of the guru's of the PC world and here he is tackling a really dirty PC:
    http://www.informationweek.com/news...?articleID=60403472&pgno=1&queryText=&isPrev=

15. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Hi, tym- Thank you.

I tried core temp first. No luck.

The fan adapter sounds like a good idea to me.

This is my first Intel machine. Okay, besides the identical system that I had to send back for replacement. :) I guess, it's fair to say that I haven't had very good luck with Intel.

Heya, Bold Eagle- Thank you

"Is the Fan issue still persisting?" Yes.

It's seem like a pretty obvious tool so there must be something wrong with it, but I'll ask anyway... What I did was attach a 1' piece of 1/8" ID fish tank tube to my vacuum cleaner to clean my PC. I was able to reach pretty tight spaces. What didn't come right off I took a little brush and swept it toward the tube. Does the vacuum create a static charge across certain components? I didn't think of anything else that might be an issue. Is the vacuum a bad idea?

"Your Intel HS looks a bit dirty and you may want to consider giving that a bit of a clean. Post back if your interested in that option."

Yup, I was a little concerned about removing the fan and possibly messing up the thermal bond because I didn't really know what I was doing. So, I just moved the suction tube up & down the fins and back & forth between the fan blades along the top of the fins.

I'll have to double-check...I think I took the pics before I cleaned but I'm not sure.

Okay, great! I'll do a search for Firefox & memory leaks.

Also, do I need to adjust something because I keep getting the following pop-up?

"Virtual Memory Too Low...Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file."

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well this is a definite indicator of a memory leak occurring. Memory leaks can be caused by many different software and FF was renown for it for quite a while as you will discover with a "google" of Fire Fox memory leak. I have to go out very soon and will look back here later.

17. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

I just wanted to write one last thank you!

Sorry, I've been sick and haven't been able to do all the things you both suggested. Eventually, I'll get 'em done and, hopefully, they'll calm the whiny fan.

Best,
    Rock

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Heya I meant to get back to this. Sorry for the delayed response.

Here is an Intel reference for removing the stock HS:
    http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res...rocessor/processors/core2quad/tech/299985.htm

You will need to clean of the old and refresh the Thermal Interface Material (TIM).

Here is a solid performing TIM and application instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

I refresh my TIM 1-2 times a year as part of my housekeeping routine have a read and see what you think.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds